Operating System - OpenVMS
1753405 Members
7427 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS VAX TCP-IP problem

M. van der Veeken

OpenVMS VAX TCP-IP problem

First off all, I must apologize. I am very new to OpenVMS and I have no one in my direct surroundings that uses OpenVMS. This could be a 'stupid' question.

I have a VAX machine, with OpenVMS 7.1 installed on it. I have installed and configured the TCP IP Services via TCPIP$CONFIG

I have (re)started the service.

I get no error messages, TCP IP (and the services like telnet etc.) starts up.

I can telnet from the VMS to the localhost ('telnet localhost' works fine.

But if i telnet from my win2k machine it times out. Also if i ping the vax machines adress it times out.

I am shure to have the correct adress (via the 'show net' command).

Can anyone help me?
5 REPLIES 5
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Well, this forum is for helping newbies further. Don't hesitate to as, there will be someone at elast to help you out...

Now your problem. Let's start at the very bais tests:

On your VAX, give the command:

$ TCPIP PING

(FYI: This is the normal way (I guess) to show VMS commands. So do NOT! type the "$" (though VMS won't complain)

On your Win2K machine, type in CMD box:

ping

This should give a result in both ways.

If this doesn't work, check this on your VAX:

$ TCPIP
TCPIP>

(Before I forget, this is the TCPIP-prompt, so do not type this)

TCPIP> ifconfig -a

this will show your interfaces.

If youre familiar with Unix, you could also do:
TCPIP? netstat -A

and any other netstat command.

TCPIP> SHOW ROUTE can give you a clue on your routes - be sure the default is the right one!

BTW:
It's quite normal in VMS that HELP will get you further. Not only on DCL level (The "$" prompt) but also within TCPIP. Just roam around.

HTH

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Yup, telnet localhost just proves you installed and started TCPIP correctly, it does not tell much about the configuration.

I also suggest a ping to the win2k system first. It that does not work try a traceroute and see where along the path you fail. Also check accessability of your gateway.

As a very rough approximation do a ipconfig/all on your Win2k box. You will need mostly similar types of entries (not necesarilly with the same values) on your VMS system too.

Also posting concrete commands and results here might help (e.g. ping numeric-address vs. ping hostname does add a whole new can of worms ;-)

Greetings, Martin

P.S. Welcome to OpenVMS and y'know at one point in time everybody was a newbie here ;-)
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello,
first welcome in VMS group.
Because you can telnet on local host, your service is active; problem may be on Win2K. It sound like a IP or subnet mask error; as seuggested by Martin use ipconfig/all and check if subnet mask is identical to VAX; if you are using TCPIP V5 or more you can use command suggested by Willem otherwise if you are usign UCXV4.XX you can type:
$UCX
SHOW INTERFACE
Also, IP address of VAX and PC must be different.
For furthermore help post configuration of PC and interface info of VAX.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
M. van der Veeken

I have found the problem. It all works now.

I am almost to ashamed to tell u guys what the problem was...

Please don't laugh :)

I had a faulty UTP cable... :(

It all worked fine locally. So, my first thoughts where also towards the netmask. But, that was set properly.

I had tested the UTP cable with a Ethernet Cable test device, it reported a good cable.

Once i plugged it into my win2k machine the network disconnected :). There I had my problem. I got myself a new cable, and it worked fine!

Sorry to have kept you bizzy :) Thanks for all who replyed
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello M. van der Veeken
happyness you solved (you cannot assign points to yourself); your thread has permitted known you and you now known as. Here you'll find ever pleasant and expert people.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti