1753439 Members
4731 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Overseas user bring his laptop to our office

Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Overseas user bring his laptop to our office

Please advice if all are offices are running on individual NT4 PDC system, they have a different domains. If they bring his laptop to our office, try to open his file and print to our network printer, how can i do, how can low impact to user ?

For your information, if we have no domain admin priviage of the user laptop, is it very difficult to do ?

Michael
6 REPLIES 6
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

If all the user wants is to print a certain file (located on his laptop) and you can't reach this file because of a security issue -
then the best way would be to boot this laptop from any version of LIVE OS (an operating system that resides and boots from CD ).Connect to the network and copy this file to a shared place.Then print it from sharing OS.
Regards.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Without Admin access, you can't create a TCP/IP prionter connection. If you have a priont server, the User "might" still be able to create a connection through the server. Otherwise, try the following:

Create a hidden share on one of your servers.
example: myshare$ <--- note the "$".

Give the Everyone Group change permissions to it.

Have the User map a drive to it by IP address, then they can copy the files over to be printed by someone else.

example: \\134.114.122.19\myshare$

When done, get rid of the share!!!

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, but i want to find an automatic software, e.g. network printing software, for user upload file and select print queue...etc.,

However, I found a post describe as below, but don't know how to use and run the program without admin permission.

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/04/18/409105.aspx

Please advice..
Michael
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

The answer - depends on OS installed on laptop. Assuming that it is Windows NT/2000/XP, laptop user can logon localy on laptop choosing "THIS COMPUTER" instead a domain name, then manually map a shared disk or printer queue using an user account of domain the share belongs ("Connect using different user name:" option in "Map network drive" window).
In Win9x it is even easer. AFAIR user should set logon to domain in network properties, and then manually type username and domain at logon screen.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your advice,

But the user have not local user account. So, i don't know how to do.

Michael
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hmm. If user doesn't have admin rigths even localy on his own laptop, it's really problem. The only way out I can suppose is to call the person who knows password for local admin account on the laptop.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.