1753989 Members
6909 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Port is not recvng data continusly

meenus
Occasional Contributor

Port is not recvng data continusly

Dears,i am troubling with a doubt from the last few weeks....am explaing my doubt here...Is anybdy having idea about my subject pls help to clear my doubt....

i developed a socket application to recive data from port.this application recvng data from a unit through port no 4444(Vehicle Tracking unit). this application recvng data and evrything is ok....but some times no anydata is coming in to this application.for eg:if application recves data 2 days after that 2 days it will recve one or two data only....again after 2 days it will recve all data correcly....that means lot of missing data we have....my question is whether this missing data is bse of my socket application or unit???????

The manufacturing company telling us unit is sending the data continuiously..but some times this socket application is not recvng data in 2 days interval....i dont know how to solve this issue....is any other setting is required in server to recve data continuously....

i think socket application 100% is ok...unit maufactures telling unit also sending data continuously...then where the problem is???can anybdy share ur idea about this?

i have one more doubt.our server port no(4444) recvng data from diffrnt units at a time...whther this will create the pblm of missing data?
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Port is not recvng data continusly

I don't see how anyone can debug this problem
without being able to see your server code.
Knowing something about the client might be
nice, too.

> i think socket application 100% is ok...
> unit maufactures telling unit also sending
> data continuously...then where the problem
> is???

Perhaps one of you is wrong. (Perhaps both.)

> i have one more doubt.our server port
> no(4444) recvng data from diffrnt units at
> a time...whther this will create the pblm
> of missing data?

Perhaps. It might depend on exactly what
your program does when a second client tries
to connect. Is there a fork() in there
anywhere?

Again, with approximately no useful
information about the server program or its
client(s), it's hard to guess what might be
happening. What have you done to try to
determine what the server code is doing?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This will require a network analyzer to resolve. While the mfg company says they are sending data, there's probably a *LOT* of network steps between their box and yours. You'll need to trace the network activity using Wireshark at the source and also at the destination. Your code (and the mfg's machine) will be able to diagnose the network problems. You will probably need the services of a good network consultant that is familiar with Wireshark.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> This will require a network analyzer to
> resolve. [...]

That's a pretty definitive statement
considering how little evidence we have on
which to base anything. I can imagine
problems in the server code which could be
revealed with a few diagnostic printf()'s,
but my psychic powers must be much weaker
than those of some others who, with the
evidence available here, can say exactly
what will be needed to solve this problem.

I'm envious.
meenus
Occasional Contributor

i used the following link for creating my socket server application...if any pblm with this pls let me know...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/4/8/c488a081-85f2-4a2e-a121-ef5cad681313/vbSockets.exe

thankfull to ur gr8 support
meenus
Occasional Contributor

Dears,Welcome for any type of suggestions ,I will try all the possibilities....
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The link you posted is apparently some sort of a network programming example written in Microsoft Visual Basic. That means you'using some version of MS Windows.

This section of ITRC Forums is for HP-UX, an operating system that is completely different from Windows and does not support Visual Basic.

I'm requesting the forum moderators to move this question to a more appropriate section of the ITRC Forums.

But in general, posting a link to an undocumented generic example code is not sufficient to determine whether you've used the code correctly in *your* program.

As Bill suggested, a network analyzer would be useful in capturing a trace of the traffic incoming to port 4444 of your server. Analyzing that trace would tell you if the data is coming in or not, and whether the sending unit and/or your application successfully recovers from any interruptions in the connection or not. Of course, you will need some knowledge of TCP/IP basics to understand the trace.

You cannot troubleshoot this problem effectively unless you understand what *should* happen at the level of the network trace and compare that to what is *actually* happening.

MK
MK
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Maybe you can try HP-UX facility nettl in your servers:

# nettl -start
Initializing Network Tracing and Logging...
Done.
# nettl -traceon all -entity all -f /tmp/mytrace

After enough time according to your requirements (a day maybe) passed:
# nettl -traceoff -entity all

# netfmt -N -f /tmp/mytrace.TRC000 > /tmp/trace0

# nettl -stop

# more /tmp/trace0