Networking
1753974 Members
7262 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem With Internet...

Problem With Internet...

Okay I have a network going between two computers, one upstairs and one downstairs. Tey are connected by a router and the cable modem is downstairs. For some reason I can't seem to get the internet to work on the upstairs computer. Everything else works though, for example I can move files and etc. I just can't seem to get the internet to work. If you guys have any possible solutions please help. My e-mail is kevingrt13@hotmail.com and my AIM is UmdTerps13
23 REPLIES 23
Misa
Frequent Advisor

I think I need a little more information about your network topology. The cable modem is obviously connected to your ISP/the Internet. Where's the cable modem plugged in? Is whatever's providing routing between your machines and the Internet doing NAT? How are you handling your inside addressing?

The cable modem is connected to my PC downstairs, I don't know what you are talking about with NAT, and Inside Addressing what do you mean?
Misa
Frequent Advisor

Okay, so the cable modem is connected to the downstairs PC. I'm going to assume then that your downstairs PC has a second network card and that's where it plugs into the router.

Now: does the downstairs PC get its IP address through DHCP ("Obtain an IP address automatically") or have you specified one?

Same question for the upstairs PC: does it get one through DHCP or did you type one into the Control Panel/Network box?

Downsatirs-Automatic

Upstairs- Manuel I think
sven verhaegen
Respected Contributor

this might be a simple question but a pretty important one , this computer that links to the internet does it have gateway functionality activated ??

....in the same way a router works for the up to downstairs comunication the device which connects to the internet should function as a gateway to the internet , probably your local PC not connected to the modem sends it packets by default to the other PC trough the default gateway which is the router but that router has no gateway to the internet set, moreover a PC standardly does not work like a router forwarding packets between multiple virtual or physical interfaces it posesses and this function needs activation.... , you should thus not only look for the routing from the problem PC to the working PC but also form the router to the internet and even the gateway functionality of the PC connected directly to the internet

hope this helps ....
...knowing one ignores a greath many things is the first step to wisdom...
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am using a cable modem and SMC barricade router at home.

The SMC barricade router (as with most cable modem / adsl routers) double up as the DHCP and NAT server. It also works as a printer server and performs port forwarding for you to setup servers on your network for Internet access.

As long as you set your systems in automatic DHCP mode (I use both linux and windows), your broadband router will allocate both the DHCP IP address and the default gateway information to your system.

Some troubleshooting:

1) Check the link light on your router switch port. If it is on, your physical cabling is working end-to-end.

2) Check that you have enabled DHCP on your system.

3) Check the allocated IP address:

On Windows, # ipconfig -a
On Linux, # ifconfig -a

You should normally get an IP address in the 192.168.0.0 range.

3) Check your netstat table for your default gateway:

# netstat -rn

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Typo:

3) Check the allocated IP address:

On Windows, # ipconfig -a

Should be:

On Windows, # ipconfig /all

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

>> Downsatirs-Automatic
>> Upstairs- Manuel I think

You are using manual for your upstairs PC, that's the problem.

Please set it to automatic, otherwise the router can't assign you the DHCP IP address and the default gateway information.

Steven Sim Kok Leong

Okay...

Steve I put it on automatic and it still does not work...

Sven, I see what you mean but what can I do about it?

And if any of you have an e-mail or AIM that'd be great my e-mail is kevingrt13@hotmail.com

My AIM is UmdTerps13