1752815 Members
5894 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem With Internet...

Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Otherwise.... you're looking at setting up IP forwarding on the downstairs system, so the 2 cards can talk.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Misa
Frequent Advisor

Someone suggested to me that there is a Linksys product, P/N BEFSR41, that might help out. It's supposedly an appliance that does "firewall" and is a 4-port router. Supposedly this will DHCP your ISP, handle NAT, and everything. $50-$75USD.
Bill Nichols
Frequent Advisor

Absolutely right, Misa. It's a 4-port router, & serves as a physical firewall with NAT, plus DHCP to handle both PC's dynamically, & all the ISP sees is one IP, the one into the router. It's very simple to set up & works like a real champ! Another nice thing about it is that if the ISP periodically re-leases IP addresses to the modem, the router recognizes that automatically too. It's also smart enough to be able to tell whether the NICs are 10BaseT or 10/100, a definite advantage if you're dealing with an older machine that has a working NIC, just not the latest/greatest.

The one caveat is that if the boxes have been connected with ICS, you can't reutilize the current Cat5 cable between them, since ICS uses crossover cable & the cabling from router to PC has to be straight Cat5 patch.

Bill
"Cheap is good; free is better."

If i have DHCP downstairs and Manuel upstairs, do I need both DHCp or both Manuel. And how do you do it manuel downstairs?