5242 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problem with lan cards

saeeda
Occasional Visitor

Problem with lan cards

Hi friends

I am working with 2 HP rp servers with same hardware configuration. Each one have 4 physical lan cards. In one of them I can see all the lan interfaces :

NRPT(root) #ioscan -fuC lan
Class     I  H/W Path    Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description
=====================================================================
lan       0  0/0/0/1/0   igelan   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7109-60001 PCI 1000Base-T Core
lan       1  0/0/1/1/0   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       2  0/0/1/1/1   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       3  0/0/12/1/0  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       4  0/0/12/1/1  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       5  1/0/0/1/0   igelan   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7109-60001 PCI 1000Base-T Core
lan       8  1/0/1/1/0   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60601 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       9  1/0/1/1/1   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60601 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       6  1/0/14/1/0  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       7  1/0/14/1/1  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter

but in the other one i can not see all of them and see just this :

GRD1(root) #ioscan -fuC lan
Class     I  H/W Path    Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description
=====================================================================
lan       0  0/0/0/1/0   igelan   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7109-60001 PCI 1000Base-T Core
lan       1  0/0/1/1/0   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       2  0/0/1/1/1   iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       3  0/0/12/1/0  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter
lan       4  0/0/12/1/1  iether   CLAIMED     INTERFACE    HP A7012-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T Dual-port Adapter

I have change the physical places of lan cards with eath other but the result is same .what the problem might be?

thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
saeeda
Occasional Visitor

by the way , what is the meaning of the first digit of the path ? as you see, in the result of ioscan of the first machine, we can see that half of the nic pathes start with 1 , but in the result of second machin we see just 0 . any idea ?

meekrob
Super Advisor

Hi All,

im also having similar issues with an integrity rx7640 (OS installed: HP-UX 11iv3) server and gigabit ethernet cards.

In fact, we have 3 NICs (dual ports) installed on this machine:  lan0  -->  lan5  however, after rebooting the machine, lans 2,3,4 and 5 get disappeared from the ioscan output (ioscan -fnC lan) even though they had static configs in the netconf file.

Any help would me much appreciated.

Regards

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

saeeda - what model servers are these?

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> ioscan -fuC lan

Leave out the -u option. Since the cards are installed, they can probablty be seen but -u will not show cards that don't have a compatible driver.

ioscan -fC lan

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
meekrob
Super Advisor

Good day Bill and thanks for your reply,

Sorry if im not the author of the thread but it is really frustrating as im getting the same issue:

we have3 similar dual ports NICs so, how could it be that the same driver (which is igelan/iether) is successfully bound for the 1st NIC and not for the other 2?  (lans 0 and 1 are detected but lans: 2,3,4,and 5 are missing.

Thanks in advance

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Post the CPU model (model and machinfo)  and post ioscan -kf so we can see the full hardware path hierarchy.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

To answer this:

> what is the meaning of the first digit of the path ?

While the answer would depend on the server model, from the info in the first post, it looks like you have either an rp8400 or rp8420.   For cell based servers, that first digit indicates the cell board that the  I/O chassis is connected to.  So, given your symptoms, it would appear that one server is either missing cell board 1 or I/O chassis 1 (due to configuration or fault).  Look for other missing resources such as CPU, memory etc.

If you review the output of parstatus -Vp0 you can check the configuration and status of the partition.

-Bob

----------------
meekrob
Super Advisor

Hi All,

as requested, kindly find attached the output from integrity rx7640 server. Just to mention that when i unplugged all cables from all lans except lan0 and rebooted everything went fine (as you can see in the attached file -> lans appear in ioscan -fC lan output). However, before unplugging all other network cables then restarting lans 2,3,4 & 5 did not appear within ioscan output). How to proceed in your opinion? any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

So, everything is OK now, after the reboot?

Perhaps there was a problem with the I/O connectivity originally?  A reboot would cause a partition reset which would go through the motions to re-attach I/O to the cell.

It is something to watch for as if it was a hardware issue it is likely to return. 

-Bob

----------------