New Discussion юеВ

RDP and Bandwidth UMTS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

RDP and Bandwidth UMTS

HI folks,
Got a question. a client of mine wants to connect to a terminal server with a laptop with an UMTS connection.

The client can use about 80MB a month and still leaves the costs to an exaptebel amount.

Now I want to know how long I can stay online with an RDP connection. They will need theire local sources shared and will sometimes have to send an attachment with mail etc.
Sharing local sources will cost bandwith, but there are some other ways to reduse it, like not displaying wallpaper, cashing bitmaps, setting connectionspeed to 28.8 modem and put desktop to 256 colors

Are there any other way's to reduce bandwidth and how much is it then? Lets say the send 10MB of attachments, how long can the stay online before the other 70MB is depleted?

Hope you can help me,
Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
2 REPLIES 2
Guy Humphreys
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: RDP and Bandwidth UMTS

Ronald,

you can also turn off Audio so it doesn't get sent from the server to the client, this will save you some bandwidth.

The official figure from MS is 6.3 kbps per connection. This I take with a pinch of salt and usually allow 8-10 kbps per connection.

a rate of 8 Kbps equates to around 3.6 MB per hour of useage, so your client is going to burn up that 70MB in about 20 hours of work (rounded up).

HTH
Guy
'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: RDP and Bandwidth UMTS

Tnx,
That was exactly what I needed to know,

Regards, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"