Operating System - HP-UX
1748209 Members
2733 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Re-Configure a HP/UX11i network config after moving from one site to another

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Re-Configure a HP/UX11i network config after moving from one site to another

Hi Guys,

I have to move an old hpRP4410 Server running HP/UX 11.11 from one site to another and configure it on the new site.

Just in terms of what I have to do in networking , apart from modifying the /etc/hosts with the new ip address are there any other files I need to modify? I havent done this in years and cant recall what I did initially.

Any help or pointers appreciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Re-Configure a HP/UX11i network config after moving from one site to another

The simplest way is to run set_parms *BEFORE* you shutdown the machine and move it. If you do it before connecting to the new network, you'll avoid networking conflicts at the new site. Run set_parms twice:

# /sbin/set_parms ip_address
# /sbin/set_parms addl_network

The first changes the IP address and the second changes the subnet mask, router/gateway, DNS server and other network services. I a assuming that the hostname does *NOT* change. If so, then run set_parms hostname also.

NOTE: There can be other (poorly designed) programs and tools that have IP addresses hard coded into config files. So just in case, I would run a find/grep on the entire /etc, /usr and /var directories looking for the old IP, just in case:

# find /etc /usr /var -type f  -exec grep '10.11.12.13'  {} \+

(where 10.11.12.13 is your old IP address)

Ignore log files with the old IP (such as resmon logs). 

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
gunners
Frequent Advisor

Cheers Bill , that looks good to me.

Just something else related I thought of after my initial post that you may know - obviously the MP port's (ie where we login as Admin to access logs , console etc) will ALSO need a new ip address - you dont know where that is set by any chance ? is it somewhere on the console menu or something ?

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> console etc) will ALSO need a new ip address

Good catch.

Yes, the console must be changed too.

You telnet to the current console (you can do this even when the main server is shutdown) and type CTRL-B. That will give you the MP login prompt. Once you have the login menu, you'll see CM as an option. Type CM (or cm) and then LC to set the new IP addresses (and subnet mask, gateway, etc). Then to return back to the main menu, type MA (or ma).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin