Networking
1745813 Members
3977 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started

Daniel F
Advisor

Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started

Hi,
I??m getting this weird problem that is basicly as described in the header. When a connection is made to the terminal server, (this is only done from one machine in the network running win2000 and server is 2000 Small business), a remote downlevel document appears in the print queue for one of the printers (always the same printer). This document is 0 bytes so it blocks the queue and it takes a couple of minutes to get deleted.
While on this subject I??m also getting a remote downlevel document when trying to print from a dos program (Concorde), when a document is printed from an NT system (2000 and XP) a document of 0 bytes appears in the queue before the real document.

Yes, we had the Bugbear virus but it has been removed from the server and these machines, I have already run the Stinger and we have Norton AV corporate edition running.
With thanks in advance,
Daniel F.
22 REPLIES 22
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started

Daniel F
Advisor

thank you for your response, although it did not solve my problem. There are no viruses present and I??m still having this problem
Sorry about my late response too :/.
Best regards,
Daniel
IanS_1

Here on our network we are having the exact same problem. We have Trend Virsu Wall running on the gateway and have not seen anything to indicate that we are infected.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Here's a possibility for both of you.

If you share a printer, AND use the NET USE command to redirect LPT1 you will get "Remove Downlevel Document" messages.

Clear out the net use command, and all is well.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q137065

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Hmmm looks like a related problem that affected Win95, but the issue COULD be related to your Virus software.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q162447

Jon
Daniel F
Advisor

Nope,
Not using net use on the server for any printers and the problem occurs on machines that have no, and have never had, antivirus software installed.
This is really something, I am upgrading the antivirus software this week though so if this is somekind of fault on the antivirus software on the server that should come clear. I am currently using Symantec antivirus corporate 7.0 and am upgrading to 8.0 but I have found no documentation on an error like this on the symantec website so I don??t suspect it to be the problem.
Best Regards,
Daniel F.
Jason Rives

Hey everyone,
I registered my name to HP as soon as I saw this problem when searching for "remote downlevel document." First off, I discovered this problem while connected to the network with a local printer on my computer. Well...this problem has nothing to do with local or remote printer setups, but with users on the network who have the BUGBEAR virus or some other virus on their computer. How did I come about this discovery... I upgraded my computer to windows xp in order to load a new OS and to have a clean system just in case it was my computer with the virus. The print queue then came up with a message that someone was printing, and with windows xp, it listed the user name. Since then, I disconnected his laptop from the network and everything runs fine. I suggest placing a local printer on a computer running XP, removing the paper, and let the document try to print in its random time. Discover who the user is by opening the print queue, make backups of their files, reformat their computer, and reinstall a new OS in that person's computer. Good Luck,
Jason J Rives
Alpharetta, GA
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Daniel.. Found a link that may be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328716

Jon
Daniel F
Advisor

Called Microsoft Denmark,
obtained hotfix,
No luck.

This problem is keeping me from sleeping at night.

I really don??t know what this could be, I have upgraded the virus software on the server and XP clients and I still get this problem, some of the win98 clients havent got updated yet but the definiton files are up to date and there??s no indication of viruses other than all the articles and responses I??ve seen to this problem that point to them.

Stay tuned for another unsolved mystery.....:P
going home for the day....
Cya guys

Daniel F.