Networking
1745882 Members
4576 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started

Niki Sparks

Re: Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started

We have a similar problem, & also have the Norton AV corporate edition running. We have a Win 2K network with 5 clients & 2 networked printers[1 HP & 1 Lexmark]. When a certain Laptop client logs on we get this Remote downlevel document job generated & we then get several reams of paper spewed from both printers. Cancelling the job will not stop it but pulling the plug will! I am desperate to save several thousand trees from an unecessary death, so is there anything i can try??

Daniel F
Advisor

Finally I have solved this problem, it was a strange one indeed, once I removed one of the computers from the network the problem disappeared, but the strange thing is that this computer did not seem to be infected by a virus.
It had Norton antivirus corporate edition 7.0 with latest definitions but did not find a virus, I ran Stinger, bugbear removal tool, brid tool funlove tool and a couple of others and then installed Norton antivirus corporate edition 8.0 with latest definitions but it never found anything.

I noticed that after I uninstalled Norton 7.0 I accidentally had the computer connected to the network (yes I know better) but then things were still working fine so it seems that this problem had to do something with the virus software on this specific machine.

Best Regards,
Daniel F.
David DiGiovanni

I am getting a message box with the file name in it because my printer is printing constantly, the message appears when I run out of paper.

How do I get rid of this?
Thomas Lawrence

Quick Fix! Go to the Print Server and stop the print spooler services then restart them. Be careful, this will remove everything from the queue.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Well... I've stopped and started the spooler service on both NT and 2000 and it doesn't appear to clear out the spooled documents. It appears to clear whatever error state it was in at the time though. :-)

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jan Burbage

Hi Daniel F.

You wrote: "Finally I have solved this problem, it was a strange one indeed, once I removed one of the computers from the network the problem disappeared, but the strange thing is that this computer did not seem to be infected by a virus.
It had Norton antivirus corporate edition 7.0 with latest definitions but did not find a virus, I ran Stinger, bugbear removal tool, brid tool funlove tool and a couple of others and then installed Norton antivirus corporate edition 8.0 with latest definitions but it never found anything.

I noticed that after I uninstalled Norton 7.0 I accidentally had the computer connected to the network (yes I know better) but then things were still working fine so it seems that this problem had to do something with the virus software on this specific machine.

Best Regards,
Daniel F. "

which was in regard to "Remote Downlevel Document shows up in print queue when terminal session is started" posting. I am trying to understand if you have a similar problem as we do. I have a Windows 2000 PC setup as a print server (3 printers are attached - HP Laserjet 4050, Okidata Pacemarc, Okidata ML 393). We had a mixture of Windows 95 and Windows 2000 computers which print to these printers. I am not sure if we were seeing "remote downlevel documents" when we had a mixture of OS but now that we have all Windows 2000, I see RDD (remote downlevel document) in the print queue for everything printed through Windows 2000 (Excel, WordPerfect, etc.). Only documents printed through Unix which they telnet into has the name of the file being printed. All users were setup logging into print server as guest (but I have set up a login now for each user - I see their name along with RDD now). I have atleast one additional line that has no size for each print job - along with the print job that has size to it. We would like to see the file name being printed. We, also, are using Norton Antivirus Corporate version 7.60.926 on all computers attached to the network. But as you found out for your stituation this was not the problem - right? What was wrong with the computer you unattached from your network that showed you the problem. Did that computer effect everyone's listing or was it just that computer that was giving you the RDD message in the queue? I am using NET USE for the DOS base programs we still have but I have played with this and it doesn't seem to matter if it's in the mix or not. Just as a side note: I have set up the port to be \\prserver\finhp5 for the HP 4050. I thought when I downloaded the up to date drivers for this printer, I had only one line even though it was a RDD message but have seen lately this is not the case - I can have more than one line per print job - at least one with no size. I have check at Microsoft and the only documents I find are about virus, Loop Continiusly (not happening) and one other but none seem to be the problem I am having. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks, Jan (jburbage@lex-co.com)
Ty1
Respected Contributor

Hi Daniel,

This is a known issue with Windows 2000 SP3. The fix is to upgrade to SP4.

The hotfix is also applied by security hotfix MS03-070.
Redirected Printing Through a Terminal Services Session May Not Work with Windows 2000 SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328020

MS02-070: Flaw in SMB Signing May Permit Group Policy to Be Modified
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;329170

Hotfix can be downloaded here:-
Q329170_W2K_SP4_X86_EN.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=52EAC216-A360-4E2D-9C6B-AD4D31C40BA2&displaylang=en

I had a similar issue printing from thin clients, and upgrading to SP4 resolved the issue.

Regards

Ty
Although I am an HP Employee, all views expressed are my own and are not on behalf of HP

Regards
Ty
Jan Burbage

Tyronne,

I am the last person to respond to Daniel's first message. I am trying to see if his solution would apply to my situation. I am not using Terminal Services to print but it sounds like we are getting the same results - the dreaded "remote downlevel document". I am not sure your fix of installing SP4 will fix my problem. Since you seemed to be responding to Daniel's e-mail, can you re-read my e-mail and let me know if your e-mail applies to my situation. I don't seem to see it when I have read your links. Thanks, Jan
Ty1
Respected Contributor

Hi Jan,

The main similarities between my issue and that seen in the origional post was terminal services and spool files of 0 bytes. In our case we had sone office apps printing fine, whereas other Office apps wouldn't print at all. When we examined the event logs, we discovered that the path to the spool file changed for the non working apps. We contacted MS support and were given the above, MS at that time were unable to determine the exact root cause, but were able to fix with SP4. We installed SP4 and it worked correctly.

Anyway to answer your question, I am not sure that we had the same issue as either or the first post, but I felt that there were enough similarities to be worth suggesting.

Sorry if I am not realy offering any clearer help.

Regards

Ty
Although I am an HP Employee, all views expressed are my own and are not on behalf of HP

Regards
Ty
Kurt Bilteryst

Hi,

Within our company we have similar problems with. We have a machine (running on xp) that is connected to the network. The printer we're using is connected to the PC via the com1-port and is not shared. Every time we print, the first job that arrives in the queue is a "local downlevel document". The second job is the actual print job. The first job causes a certain delay of 1-2 sec.

Does anyone have an idea how we can get rid of the first "local downlevel docuemnt" job.