Operating System - OpenVMS
1745865 Members
4262 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RemoteDekstop/VNC possible in version 1.2-6?

MathewA
Advisor

RemoteDekstop/VNC possible in version 1.2-6?

Hi all,

I'm new to OpenVMS but I hope you guys will still help me out :)
I am doing some work on the network environment here and one of the computers is running "Compaq DECWindows Motif for OpenVMS, Version 1.2-6".

I would like to be able to remotely access that computer and access both mouse and keyboard.
On the other Windows and Linux computers I have been using Windows' own RemoteDesktop or a VNC programm.

Now I wondered if it was somehow possible to do the same here or whether maybe the operating system already offered a solution for this.

I hope you gurus know the system and know how to solve this problem.
Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Kind regads,
Mathew
35 REPLIES 35
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

HI,

try using an x-windows emulator like reflections for example to access decwindows via telnet or ssh. there is also a vnc client for vms - just google for openvms vnc.

hth

MathewA
Advisor

I found a ported version of TighVNC but that requires perl and "a recent version of X" ;)

at least according to the readme.

I also found references to a vnc version for openvms by Hunter Goatley but a) it was only for the newer openvms versions and b) i could only find the release notes and no working download locations.

Transfering data from the computer to the ftp server is not the problem by the way. All I need to do is "see" the desktop like with VNC or RemoteDekstop and control the mouse and keyboard.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

which alpha or vax system is this and what is the version of vms ?
what is the reason for needing a windowing type session ?

hth

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I would like to be able to remotely access
> that computer and access both mouse and
> keyboard.

That probably requires a robot.

As usual, it's often more helpful to specify
what the actual problem is, or what task
you're trying to perform, rather than asking
how to implement a particular (non-ideal)
solution to that problem.

What you _can_ do easily is what you can do
with many non-Windows systems, and that is to
use the X Window System (here, DECwindows) to
let you run a program on the VMS system and
have it use your X server to provide
keyboard+pointer input, and graphical display
output.

There may be a working VNC viewer for VMS,
but I've never heard of a working VNC
_server_ for VMS, and that's what you'd need
to control the VMS system remotely. (Right?)

There are lots of X server kits available for
Windows. (Or get a Mac, or use a Linux
desktop system with X installed.)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

MathewA
Advisor

Apologies if I did not make myself clear :(

What I am trying to do is remotely use the computer.

Meaning, the computer with OpenVMS (details like version were posted in first post) is in building A. My computer is in building B.

Now I do not want to walk over to building A to start a calculation or a measurement (openvms computer controls a measuring device) or check whether the calculations are actually done yet.
So just like in VNC tools like TightVNC, UltraVNC etc I would like to be able to open a connection that mirrors the video output of the computer in building A to my desktop on my computer in building B and allows me to virtually use the mouse and keyboard as well.

That way I do not need to actually use the actual keyboard and mouse but can control the whole computer from Building B or even from home.

I do the same with other computers. e.g. the ftp server is running on Windows and remotedesktop (that's what it's called in german) is activated.
I can then log on to that computer via the internet and virtually use the mouse and keyboard and control the computer as if i were standing in front of it using the actual mouse and keyboard hardware.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

then you should just need to use an x-window emulator from your pc , that will give you the same sort of decwindows screen you would see locally, access will depend whether this system has ip services like telnet or ssh enabled.
the version you have given is for the x-window type software thats runs on openvms called decwindows , the operating system version will be different to that.

fwiw

MathewA
Advisor

all i could find is that it is running DECTerm and then I found "Compaq DECWindows Motif for OpenVMS, Version 1.2-6".

if you can tell me where to look I would happily supply you with any information I can :)

you wouldn't by any chance have a short manual or could post the commands i need to enter in the DECWindows command prompt to start the necessary software or check whether it is installed?

i just downloaded and installed both XMing and Cygwin. hope those are sufficient.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Here's how to establish and manage remote displays with ssh port forwarding to a Mac OS X box; Unix and Linux boxes are similar.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/134

There are discussions of X11 and VNC there, as well as the sequence used to raise an X Window display on the local box.