Operating System - OpenVMS
1748080 Members
5131 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RemoteDekstop/VNC possible in version 1.2-6?

RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

>>>>>
so:
- i open the program on the local machine (gui appears)
- i start the measurement and walk back to my office
- from my office i want to connect to the remote machine and see how far the measurement has gotten which means i need to see the program i started locally (its gui)
<<<<<

Why not:
- start an x-server in your office
- connect to the VMS system
- start the program (gui appears)
- watch and see how far the measurement has gotten
MathewA
Advisor

a) because I need to be able to look at it on two different computers and a measurement takes anything from 6h-48h which means the remote computer won't be running the whole time

b) i'm not the only one using the measuring computer and i want to be able to see whether their measurements are done so i can start my next one and to supervise their measurements
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

"which means the remote computer won't be running the whole time" - do you mean you have to switch off your pc ?

"i'm not the only one using the measuring computer and i want to be able to see whether their measurements are done so i can start my next one and to supervise their measurements"

is this simply the restriction of using one physical graphical interface or are there other (application ?) reasons for single streaming your workload ?

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Ok, here's the summary as I understand it.

MathewA has an existing OpenVMS-based laboratory-control application software that apparently can't be modified and that is presently running on a Personal Workstation running OpenVMS Alpha V7.3 with DECwindows V1.2-6. This configuration is operating at a remote location from the interested users, and MathewA and others wish to monitor and to remotely manage the progress of same from arbitrary locations around the network.

VNC would be ideal, as MathewA has reasonably realized and has commented on.

VNC is not available here via software.

Remote DECwindows will work for one remote user, but not for multiple remote users nor for sharing the output and status of an operating application.

In summary, this is not possible with the current technologies available, as currently configured. There are potential ways to alter the configuration to allow this, and with varying degrees of disruption and disturbances to the existing environment.

Of all of these approaches, a hardware VNC solution is likely the easiest and least disruptive, presuming a VGA-compatible graphics controller is present in the Personal Workstation.

If application modifications are in play, then there are other solutions, including moving to a web interface.

if upgrades are in play, then there may be a software VNC server solution available here or (and this is a much bigger leap) a hardware-based solution using some of the Integrity virtualization options available on more recent boxes. Or potentially of a move to CHARON-AXP or analogous, though the involvement of hardware laboratory control tends to require extra cost and effort to over move to an emulation solution (and VNC).

Mike Kier
Valued Contributor

Off the wall...

Put a cheap PC with an X-server app next to (logically network-wise) the lab system. Bring up the X-display for the application on it using DECterms or telnet or whatever to launch it so that the display goes to that PC... Then, VNC into *that* PC from your remote locations to control the application.
Practice Random Acts of VMS Marketing
MathewA
Advisor

@hoff: that sums it up nicely :-)
i'll contact the manufacturer of the lab system but i doubt i will be able to move to x-windows or a new openvms. at least not without unreasonible amounts of cash for such a "simple" upgrade.
it just won't fly spending thousands on being able to remote control the system.

@mike: that's a pretty niffty idea :-)
unfortunately room constraints won't allow for that and it's not to green ;-)
it's also not that easy to retrain people. once it's set up everyone would want to use it but until then i doubt anyone would want the hassle for something people don't know yet that it will make their life so much easier in the long run and improve productivity.