1745844 Members
4147 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

SCP is slow in 1 out of 3 directions!!! different than most things

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

SCP is slow in 1 out of 3 directions!!! different than most things

ok if i do a scp test1:/tmp/junk /tmp/junk it takes over 5 minutes from machine test2, if from test1 i run the same thing copying from test2 to test1 (scp test2:/tmp/junk /tmp/junk)  it takes 5 seconds. We have verified /etc/hosts tables, DNS entries are correct.

We have been working with HP, Cisco, Epic  and no one knows what is causing this? So i am sending out this help call from anyone with any ideas? ...

these are HP-UX blades, running 11vi3.

thanks for any ideas.

P.S. this thread has been moved from HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX>networking - HP Forums moderator

34 REPLIES 34
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: SCP is slow in 1 out of 3 directions!!! different than most things

I would start with a verification of the ssh versions on each machine:

ssh -V

If they all match, check the KNRG (random number generator) module on each system:

swlist -a readme -a mod_time -a revision -a software_spec -l fileset OS-Core.RNG-DKRN

(they should all match)

Also check both systems with top during the slow transfer period.

Does one of systems have exceedingly large amounts of CPU time?

Finally, make sure that name resolution is identical on both systems. Use nsquery rather than nslookup:

nsquery hosts systema
nsquery hosts systema.mydomain.com
nsquery hosts 10.11.12.13

nsquery hosts systemb
nsquery hosts systemb.mydomain.com
nsquery hosts 10.11.12.14

Be sure to query the remote AND the local host by name, fully qualified name and by IP address.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Re: SCP is slow in 1 out of 3 directions!!! Different than most things

I have seen this happen when the routing tables are wrong. Often multiple routes in the table causing one host to try multiple paths with each packet sent. What does netstat -rn show on test1?  Try a traceroute from test1 to test2 and see what it reports back.

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

all of the ssh -v, swlist -a readme -a mod_time -a revision -a software_spec -l fileset OS-Core.RNG-DKRN, and the nsquery's have worked fine so far, I am having my Networking team look into the routes...

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

we checked routing tables and stuff, i was told it is on the same layer 2, no hopping, tables all look good according to our head NE person.

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

So what was the output from netstat -in and the results of traceroute from test1 to test2?

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

traceroutes only showed 1 jump, to the other machine, both directions...and is it a netstat -rn or netstat -in, the -rn showed routing tables, but the network engineers said they were fine, and if we go to one of the other new machines, that has this same problem with NO additional routes, it still fails.

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Sorry, netstat -rn.

marvin51796
Regular Advisor

ok, the netstat -rn just shows the routes, correctly accoding to the Head Network Engineer, they match up, cluster packages are good, etc...

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Marvin, if you dont post results then there is no point to asking for help here.