108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sections of internet blocked

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew del Solar
Occasional Advisor

Sections of internet blocked

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Started having problems last week that I could not access certain sites (AOL.com (for my mail), Adultswim.com are two of them). (When I say no access, I mean NO access. I cannot even see my own avatar on a forum (avatar hosted on my AOL webspace)) My IP is RoadRunner (no joy there) and have a cable modem (no router). Turning off my Sygate Firewall does not help (Windows firewall has been turned off for a long time). Running XP SP2, system is a Pavilion 513x. Norton AV and Spybot have found nothing (both are up to date). I attempt to ping sites I cannot access and get a "timed out" message. I did traceroutes and found that I could get partway there. I get to the third hop and hit a wall (3rd hop is " (son0-0-2.ncntoh1-rtr0.neo.rr.com) " where it just times out. I even tried a proxy server and had not luck. I have been beating my head against this for 3 days now and cannot figure out what is wrong. Even a clue about what is going on would be helpful. Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11
Shawn
Honored Contributor

Have you tried cycling you modem, turning it off for a minute or so. Most should be done once a week though many people don't.
Matthew del Solar
Occasional Advisor

It has been powered off several times. No effect.
Shawn
Honored Contributor

If you google the site (son0-0-2.ncntoh1-rtr0.neo.rr.com) you will see mostly problems. Contact your provider seems to be something to do.
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Matthew,

You should try that with another machine to see if the problem is with the modem or internet connection, or if it's with the computer.

regards,
hugo tigre
Matthew del Solar
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunatly that's about the only thing left to try that anyone has come up with. I do have an old system, but it doen't have an networking card. :( Will have to see if I can move the card from the current system to the old one (a Compaq 5441). Leave it to me to run into a problem that no one has seen before. I guess it's an excuse to learn things.
Shawn
Honored Contributor

Have you changed your security settings, or tried a different browser?
One of the responses I saw through google was to uninstall sp2 then reinstall, but if just started...
Also I saw something about spam filters.
We are trying to help, please assign points as you see fit.
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

it would be easier if you had a friend with a laptop, this way he could come to your home and test the connection.

it's important to pin point the problem at this point.

regards,
hugo tigre
Matthew del Solar
Occasional Advisor

No friend with a lap top. :( Have not altered secutrity levels in a long time but dropping them down to lowest and seeing if I can connect is an idea. I Have tried FoxFire and not joy there. I updated to SP2 some months ago, it we be odd that it would suddanly cause trouble now.
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

how about a friend with an internet connection??

you can take your computer to his house and test it there, I know it's a bother but at least you get some idea of where the problem lies.

regards,
Hugo Tigre