Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Server 2003 issues with DNS

Occasional Visitor

Server 2003 issues with DNS

I am running Server 2003 and have configured DNS to make sure it is working before I make the server a Domain Controller. DNS is set up with reverse look up and added the A host. I can open the web browser and the dns forwards my request to the Public DNS ip addresses so it resolves the names but only on the server. On my workstation if I configure the DNS ip to my server and run NSlookup it can not find the server it says server unknown. I can not browse any sites. I have even gone as far as putting a cross over cable between my workstation and the server. any ideas????
4 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Server 2003 issues with DNS

If you're trying to access the server via IP address or FQDN, it should work with just DNS. If you're trying to access the server via friendly name "myserver" rather than FQDN "myserver.mydomain", then you will either need to bring up WINS on your server and supply the IP address to your workstation, or make a LMHOSTS entry on your workstation.

The other thing that could affect access to the server will be its firewall settings.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Occasional Visitor

I tried NSLOOKUP with the ip address and fqn and it didnt work. I tried nslookup with yahoo.com name and ip no luck it times out on my first dns server which is the one i set up but finds the information and works on the one provided by our ISP. I checked all services are running and it works if I run nslookup on the server itself.

Honored Contributor

Hi Ryan:

Would you please post the results of IPCONFIG /ALL from your server and your workstation. Thanks.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Occasional Visitor

Hey All thank you for your help. I just got it working. I ended up uninstalling DNS and reinstalling it with active directory. Something about not having active directory running was holding it up.

The only funny thing is I have two nic cards both have there ip addresses in DNS the same way but it will only work with one of the IP addresses one of them wont work not sure why... but it is working.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event