4054 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Set up CIFS Client

Kurt_32
Advisor

Set up CIFS Client

Hi,

I have a windows share that I want to mount on an HP-UX box. The following is the data:

CIFS client ver. 2.01
Windows server: yyzwinfs1
Windows share: yyzwinfs/data/groups/itdallfiles
HP-UX mount point: /itdallfiles
user name: canweb

When I do:

# cifsmount //yyzwinfs1/yyzwinfs/data/groups/itdallfiles /itdallfiles -U canweb
Password:

I enter the correct password.

But this is what I get:

"DOS: Share not exported by server". Although this share is exported.

Any help will be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_32
Advisor

Re: Set up CIFS Client

With the following mount command line I am able to mount it:

# mount -F cifs yyzwinfs1:/yyzwinfs/data/groups/itdallfiles /itdallfiles

But it says:

"bdf: /itdallfiles: Permission denied" when I do a bdf on it.
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor

Re: Set up CIFS Client

Hello, Kurt,

Eric from the HP CIFS Client lab here. Here are the answers to your questions.

In your first case, using "cifsmount", the syntax for the object you are trying to mount is:

//server/share

where "share" is not a full path, but only the share name specified on the Windows system. From what you've shown, this is probably "itdallfiles".

In the second case, where you are using "mount -F cifs", the reason you are denied access is that you have not logged in. When you use "mount", instead of "cifsmount", and do not specify a login name and password, you have to follow it with "cifslogin". This is one of the cornerstones of the CIFS protocol: after the remote CIFS filesystem is mounted, any local user on the HP-UX CIFS client has to login to the server in order to access the share.

The "cifsmount" command expects a username and password, so it mounts and logs you in in one step, but any other user on the system will have to do "cifslogin" to access the share. That is the CIFS authentication model.

You can also specify login arguments with "mount". Examples are given in the CIFS Client Administrator's Guide, available here:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B8724-90067/B8724-90067.pdf

Please post a reply if you encounter further obstacles getting access to the Windows share with the CIFS Client.

-Eric