New Discussion юеВ

ShutOff networking

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

ShutOff networking

Hello:

I am working with Red Hat 5.3 and would like to boot my workstation up without networking as it is configured for a network that I am not currently on. I would like to simply boot up without networking support and keep the netconf files in tact for when I want to boot back onto the network. Is there an easy way to accomplish this at boot time???

Keep it Simple!~
3 REPLIES 3
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ShutOff networking

hi,

normally you could disconnect the cable from NIC, another way is to disable network services .

/sbin/chkconfig --list |grep network
error reading info for service vxsmfd: No such file or directory
network 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

syntax :

chkconfig [--level ]

/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 network off

mikap
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure it will work (I've never tried this), but you could try disabling the network service:

chkconfig network off

This will remove links to /etc/init.d/network script from /etc/rc[n].d/ directories. In case you later want networking back:

chkconfig network on
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Maybe not enough information on what exactly you are trying to do or accomplish.

If you boot the system up not connected to a network, it may spew out a few errors but it will boot and be functional.

When you are connected back on the network and boot, it should still have the same settings.

If you don't need the GUI, you could boot into init level 2 when not connected to a network

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!