1753664 Members
5893 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow files access during 9:00-9:30AM every day

Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Slow files access during 9:00-9:30AM every day

How can i trace out who user access a server shared files on network ?

Some IT co-ordinator disclosed some users who copied a 900MB access file on to server share folder. I can not trace out who access, what time access, and which file on server.

Please advice,

Thanks a lot.

Michael
8 REPLIES 8
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Auditing might help...

How To Set, View, Change, or Remove Auditing for a File or Folder in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301640&sd=tech

Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Because i have to trace out who are using that large files in the morning, i don't know where is that large files. If i turn on the auditing on the whole drive C. I'm worry it will affect the server performance.

Do you know any network sniffer program, which can monitor the source and destination, the result is include the network layer and other higher layer (e.g. check out what folder or file is in use.)
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

One of the best network packet analyzer is ethereal, but you won't know the files of folders accesed.

You should check the performance counters for:

Memory Memory\Pages/sec < 20

Disk Physical Disk\Disk Time < 90 percent

Server Server\Bytes Total/sec If all your servers├в Bytes the network Total/ sec is the same and similar to the maximum network speed, you might need to increase the network bandwidth.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I can just suppose at 09:00-09:30 it's the time when your 1500-2000 user starting their work. Do you have 10Mb network? If true, evaluate 10Mb divided by 1000 user is 10Kb bandwidth. I'm not amazed by performance.
Because your users take about 5-10 second to load 200Kb file, they have 20-40Kb of bandwidth; you can understand there are 250-500 user concurrently.
After initial read, I guess they don't need of read continously this file, so concurrently user are less.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

The situation is around 250 users access the file and print server files at 9:00 to 9:30am, sometimes is normal, sometimes is not. I would like to find out the root cause and try to fix it. I have installed Network analyzer the frame and packet transmit / receive between the source and destination, even i located one workstation is copy or access a large TCP packet from server, but i don't know what he is accessing. If the problem is a large file access, i can suggest to move it to other BOX (e.g. NAS), but i have no idea now!!

Please advice.
Michael
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Michael,
do you confirm your network is 10Mbs ?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Michael Tse
Occasional Advisor

Yes, access layer is 10Mbs, Dist. and Core is 100Mbs

Thanks,
Michael
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Michael,
if you have 10Mbs bandwidth, read my 1.st post. Mathematic is not an opinion.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti