Networking
1752805 Members
5378 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow network access with Windows XP

GotAProblem

The official answer - wait for XP SP2. Before that, here is the Q article concerning the problem - my issue was resolved by applying the first service pack to the file server; I didn't do steps 2 or 3.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B814112
Wyatt Hammer

I've been having a problem similar to this as well. I have 2 XP Pro machines accessing files on a Windows 2000 workstation/file server. Things have been smooth until recently. I have a large Word 2000 document (750kb) that I access regularly. Now when I try to work with it, adding new type takes about 2 seconds per character to enter. It works if i open it in Wordperfect and if saved as an .rtf file it works in Word as well. Seems to be a .doc file problem. Any suggestions on this?
chuck_33

Well...it's been a while. :) I had to create a new profile for these forums, since I forgot my username and password. (oops) I tried ALL of the above by the way, or just about all. Some months ago (oops again) I figured something out that solved my original problem. Here's the kicker... there was another client on the systems that I failed to mention in my original post. For some odd reason, for which I have NO idea, they had the NetWare client on all their systems. Do they have a NetWare server you ask? NO...of course not! Some corporate computer dude loaded these new machines and put it on there....for kicks I guess.

Anyhow...after I took this client off the machines, everything started working fine. No more waiting after opening a Office document. Life is good. :)

I've printed these posts out though, and stuck them in my "XP Sucks" folder for future reference. I KNOW I'll need them! Thanks all.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

So how does a Netware Client on a different machine(s) translate into a 'black eye' for XP?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
justin ermler

I would not disable the antivirus on your file server.. On the client machines, add that network drive to the antivirus software's list of "exclusions". That may help.

Good luck
Hugh McCall

It's very interesting that this is posted on an HP site...

Try this:

Disable "HP Imaging Monitor" from your startup items.

Reboot.

Win.

http://hu.selfip.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=297