Networking
1751686 Members
4455 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Small home network

Diego Vilan

Small home network

I have 1 machine with WinXp and another with Win98SEe. I would like to network them so I may transfer files from one system to another.

I ran the "netsetup" wizard in the XP machine and there is no problem.

However, whenever I try to run it on the Win98SE machine the wizard tells me that it is not able to finish the instalation (just after it reboots the system) because it is not able to find the network card.

However, my network card is correctly installed and in fact I use it to get to the internet through a cable-modem. So there is something that is not working properly, but it does not seem to be the network card.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Since you have 2 machines and cable, you may want to get a cable router.

The Linksys BEFSR41 is a wonderful machine.

If you have the computers set up with DHCP, then just plug the router into where the computer would normally plug into the cable modem, and then plug the computers into the router.

They will all get DHCP addresses and will self configure.

You can then configure the computers for file and print sharing, and then share some folders. These folders will not be able to be seen on the internet due to NAT IP translation on the router.

Without getting a cable router, you will need a crossover cable and will directly connect both lan cards to each other. You will then need to configure IP addresses for each, probably something like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, and then do the sharing I talked about before.

Warning...before reconnecting these to the internet, be sure you remove sharing.

It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Diego Vilan

Thanks for the answer. Actually, I am not interested in sharing the internet conection. Is is much simpler than that.

I simply want to connect both computers (once using XP and the other 98SE) using a UTP cable and two network cards.

I tried to use the XP wizard but it didnt work for the win 98. Thus, what I would need is a step by step guide to build a 2 machine networks between XP and W98 or else an idea why the wizard might not be detecting the network card installed (and working fine) in the Win98 machine.

Thanks.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Diego:

The Network Card (NIC) can only do one function. It will EITHER connect to the internet using your broadband modem OR it can be used to create a LAN. If you want one computer to perform both functions, you need a hub or a switching hub (switch), or a router. If you want both computers to use the internet simultaneously, you MUST use a router unless your ISP gives you a static IP address. Some broadband modems include a router. When they do, there will be 4 (or more) ports where you can connect a NIC cable. If that's what you have, connect both computers to that router, go to a Command Prompt window nd issue an IPCONFIG command at each computer. Tell us the results and which computer works on the internet. Then, we'll tell you how to make the LAN work.

If you can't connect both computers to your existing equipment, you'll need to buy a hub/switch or a router. If you think you may evr want more than one PC to access the internet simultaneously, go with a router. They're available for under $100 and make sure it has at least 4 LAN ports.

Let us know.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Diego Vilan

Hi. Thanks for answering.

First, I think I confused everybody with the internet connection thing. I do NOT intend to share the internet conection. I simply want to build a peer to peer lan between the two machines.

The reason why I mentioned that I had a working internet connection is to imply that both network cards are working properly. I did this because whenever I run the XP "netsetup" wizard on the Win98SE computer I get an error message saying that the wizard was not able to found a network card installed.

Hence what I am really interested in is in a step by step guide on how to create a LAN with two computers one having XP and the other Win98 SE, or else, a way to show the XP netsetup wizard that I do have an installed and working network card in my system.

Thanks again.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Diego:

Are you saying you don't care if NEITHER computer can access the internet? If you want one (or both) PCs to be able to access the internet, then my previous post applies.

If you just want to connect two PCs together, you can run a special Ethernet cable directly from one PCs NIC to the second PCs NIC. The cable is called a crossover cable. Once it is installed, go to your network properties and select TCP/IP properties and assign IP addresses to both machines in the same subnet (192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2, for instance). Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If other protocols are installed, either remove them or make TCP/IP the primary protocol. Both machines will need to have the same 'workgroup' name. You can make one up or just use the word workgroup. In WIN98 this is done on one of the Network Properties tabs. On WINXP, right mouse click on My Computer and select Properties, then the Computer Name tab and find the workgroup name. If it is workgroup, leave it and just change the WIN98 system to match. If there is no workgroup name, click on the Change button and create one. Mak sure both computers have different computer names. The WIN98 system will need to be rebooted afterwards. Then open My Computer on each system and right mouse click the C: drive and share each one (use share names such as C on 98 and C on XP to reduce confusion).

Now you should be able to do a Start/Search/Computer and enter the other computer's name and 'see' it. Browsing won't work in your environment unless you install NetBeui network protocol on both PCs. It's easy on WIN98 but you have to retrieve it from the CD for WINXP.

Hope this helps.

I'm not trying to confuse you. Networking is just not that simple yet.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Diego Vilan

Roger, thanks. This is just what I wanted to know.

Another question. I believe that XP uses TCP/IP as the default protocol. But how can I establish TCP/IP as the default protocol in win98 SE.

Thanks

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Diego:

Look through each tab in Network Properties. One of them will have a check box for this function.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Diego:

I think I forgot to mention one very important item. In order for all of this to work properly, you must create a new user account on the WINXP machine and logon to the WIN98 machine with that username and the appropriate password or just logon to the WIN98 machine with a known good WINXP username and password. (I always use the Administrator logon and password when testing).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You should be able to use an lmhosts file in order to be able to browse both computers.

it's under C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\ on the XP system (lmhosts.sam - rename it to lmhosts - without the extention for the system to use it) enter the win98 system's IP address and host name, then do the same thing for the win98 system under C:\windows\.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda