1751704 Members
5327 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCP/IP NEEDED IN PEER-TO-PEER

Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

TCP/IP NEEDED IN PEER-TO-PEER

I'm having problems configuring a 98 PC to a 2000 Pro PC over a Netgear switch. Currently, only NETBUI is being used. Is TPC/IP also needed? From either PC I can see the PC's proper workgroup and shares but not the others. From the Windows 2000 Pro PC I get intermittent "cable disconnected errors", which seem to indicate intermittent connectivity and not a complete disconnect.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
9 REPLIES 9
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: TCP/IP NEEDED IN PEER-TO-PEER

Install TCP/IP. What do you mean, not the others?
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Bad Netbear switch model FS605. This switch has no MAC address! Which in reality classifies it as a HUB. I consider this to be a false marketing schem myself. If you want a switch with a MAC address then get a Netgear FSM#### model. Total lie.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Using a hub versus a switch should not cause the symptom you describe.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You can dis-connect errors if auto-negotiate doesn't go well.

If the switch is 10/100 but the cards are only 10..... or visa-versa. If this is the case, set the switch at the lower speed, or upgrade the cards.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Originally I had Netbui and IPX protocols but stripped those out and also reduced network speed while trouble shooting.

The last issue, besides the defective switch, was a 5 to 10 minute latency in the network. Apparently the other PC took this long before appearing in the network neighborhood.

I've read some cases from others stating 2000 pro was backward incompatible, and that it was necessary to use WINS, NETBEUI and NETBIOS over TCP/IP to overcome the backwards incompatibility.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

A certain amount of delay is normal when waiting for the browser to cause icons to appear in Network Neighborhood.

Also, if Windows 2000 were not backward compatible, very few businesses would have bought it.

I would suggest that, as far as network protocols go, you use either TCP/IP alone or in cojunction with NetBEUI.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Gee Roger, you're one patronizing kind of guy offering nothing useful like that in your two postings. Thanks a lot for the sarcasm in both. It???s just like talking to a 17 year old. Next time please just say nothing unless you have something positive to contribute.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Did you try the cross-over cable. We all here trying to help.
please let us know how it goes.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xabe7e822e739d711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

Thanks.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor