1748051 Members
4909 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: TCPIP 5.7 and Outlokk 2010

willemgrooters
Occasional Contributor

TCPIP 5.7 and Outlokk 2010

I recently updated my system from 8.3 to 8.4, including update from TCPIP 5.6 to 5.7; also applied latest patches.

Since that update, Outlook displayes text-only - including the fuil header and un-tyranslated MOME attachements - in stead of splitting a message into header ()not shown in message window), HTML and non-HTML text, and attachements.

The (officcial) online documentaion is still related to 5.6 and is NOT updated to the changes in POP and SMTP (moving all coinfiguration into text files,...) but as far as I can see, the transsition is Ok., Stil, it doesn't work.

I'm using a web-based mail-client as wll, which is VMA-mail based, and that works just as it did before.

I have aded both SMTP and POP configuration files as translated in the update - nothing has been changed in these files except I masked location adat) - and the added files on the update and patches. The file also contains examples of maIl output before and after the upgrade (same source and destination). 

What is required to have Outlook get it's messages (using POP protocol)  as before?

Willem Grooters
6 REPLIES 6
willemgrooters
Occasional Contributor

Some extra data I forgot to mention.

I'm using a spam filter that scans mail (and adds header lines) in front of SMTP. I thought it might cause the problems since mail I send locally does not pass this filter and that mail displays correctly. However, the headers (as displayed in the webmail agent) show no indication of a reason - these are the same as before.

Willem Grooters
Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Hi!

This POP3 server don't push the RFC mail headers from the mail*.mai file. I suggest to use IUPOP3 server  or a yet another one:  http://starlet.deltatel.ru/~laishev/work/pop3/

willemgrooters
Occasional Contributor

Your server requires TCPWare (and another file which is not included) so it's unsable for me.

Willem Grooters
willemgrooters
Occasional Contributor

And by the way: The releasenotes mention a TCPIP$POP.CONF_TEMPLATE that contains al options - but that file is missing completely.
Willem Grooters
willemgrooters
Occasional Contributor

Switched to IMAP. Still some work to do but that does the job (though POP should be repaired to allow extension headers - (X-....) or documentation is updated so it works as in 5.6 (in this respect)

Willem Grooters
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The specified POP template is not missing so much as it is not located where you might think it would be.

$ library/list SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]TCPIP$TEMPLATES.TLB
Directory of TEXT library SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]TCPIP$TEMPLATES.TLB;1 on  8-JUN-2014 14:01:45
Creation date:  23-NOV-2010 13:47:11      Creator:  Librarian I01-37
Revision date:  23-NOV-2010 13:47:12      Library format:   3.0
Number of modules:     40                 Max. key length:  39
Other entries:          0                 Preallocated index blocks:     11
Recoverable deleted blocks:        0      Total index blocks used:        4
Max. Number history records:      20      Library history records:       20

CLIENT_PCY
DHCPCAP
DHCPTAGS
FAILSAFE_CONFIG
IPNODES
IPSEC_CAINFO
IPSEC_EXAMPLE_XML
IPSEC_PROFILE
LOCALHOST_DB
LOOPBACK_DB
LPD_CONF
NAMED_CONF
NAMEPOOL
NETMASKS
NETS
RESOLV_CONF
RNDC_CONF
ROOT_HINT
SERVER_PCY
SERVICES
SSH2_CONFIG
SSHD2_CONFIG
SYSCONFIGTAB
TCPIP$EXTENSION_MIB_RUN
TCPIP$EXTENSION_MIB_SHUTDOWN
TCPIP$EXTENSION_MIB_STARTUP
TCPIP$GATED
TCPIP$IMAP_CONF
TCPIP$IMAP_MAGIC_TXT
TCPIP$LBROKER_CONF
TCPIP$NTP_CONF
TCPIP$POP_CONF
TCPIP$PRINTCAP_DAT
TCPIP$SMTP_CONF
TCPIP$VMS_SNMP_CONF
XDM_CONFIG
XDM_KEYS
XDM_XACCESS
XDM_XSERVERS
_DDNSKEYS
$

TCP/IP Services is somewhat unique in this template organization, as it does not extract and provide its template files as do VMS and some other layered product packages.  

Some of documentation I've encountered is also not very good at referencing the presence of this TCP/IP template text library.

Today's Discoveries: the Lithium source code insertion tool doesn't work correctly around inserting text above the block, doesn't allow the inserted block to be removed easily, and the insertion popup box helpfully suggests a platform-specific control sequence for pasting text.     (And what's with that stack-of-pancakes-with-a-dollop-of-butter icon for "spoilers"?  That's seriously something that needs an icon in the control panel for posting to a computer-oriented forum? )

Edit: the spoiler tag does not work quite right, and the contents of the code insertion is showing as a blob of text.

Spoiler
Somebody actually spent non-zero time implementing a SPOILER tag, and not on making the forum tool work first?

Edit: the text between this and the above edit line vaporized.