Networking
1753567 Members
5638 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Teaming NC7170 - Failed (Rx Heartbeat)???

Paul Ewing

Teaming NC7170 - Failed (Rx Heartbeat)???

Hi,

I have the DL380 MSA500 Packaged Cluster. On one of the nodes the NC7170 teams perfectly, on the other node however, there are problems.

The first port on the card has a status of 'Available', the other card has a cross beside it and has a status of 'Failed (Rx Heartbeat)'.

I've tried breaking the team and recreating it. I've also tried breaking the team, removing the card from device manager and the reconfiguring the team, but still no luck!

Does this sound like a faulty card? If so, I'll Care Pack it, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
Paul
3 REPLIES 3
Connery
Trusted Contributor

Paul,
That message means that the NIC port has not received any frame within the "receive validation" time period.

Basically, RX Heartbeat simply checks to see if the port can receive any kind of frame (any broadcast, registered multicast, or unicast for the Team MAC address).

Bottom line is that port isn't receiving anything and Teaming is alerting you to the problem.

I would focus on troubleshooting from the NIC port out to the network infrastructure rather than focusing on problems inside the box.

Troubleshooting recommendation:
1. If you unteam the NICs and you give the problematic port an IP address, can it communicate with anything on the network? This validates whether the port is functional or not.
2. If you unplug the working NIC, leaving only the problematic port connected, does the Team maintain connectivity with the network?
3. If you swap the cables for the good port and the bad port, does the problem follow the cable or follow the port?

Best regards,
-sean
Paul Ewing

Hi Shaun, thanks for the reply. I referred this problem to our Network guys, they identified a problem with the configuration on one of the ports on the switch.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Ewing

As above.