9312 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Teaming behavior

Tal Bar-Or
Occasional Contributor

Teaming behavior

Hello,
recently we configured to one of our client DL380 (win2k3 se)with teaming that includes 2 nic's HP NC373i type.
the nic's are configured with 802.3ad Dynamic with fault tolerance , the switch that they attached support IEEE 802.3ad the LACP is shown to work correctly.

Next we have been requested to test the teaming throughput to show 2Gbit link, we picked another DL380 with same Teaming and used IPERF utility to simulate TCP stream

from one to destination only send the results are showing 110MBytes/s that corresponds to 1Gbit link.

also using second DL380 both iperf send to teamed DL380 server we get about 52_+ MByte/s each.

But when we open second instance of IPERF( using only one source server) with both iperf dual send receive in same time to destination we get about 210Mbytes/s

My question is how especially teaming (802.3ad Dynamic with fault tolerance)behave and load/scale balance, is per session or process? this is not clear to me.
Please Advise
Thanks in advanced
2 REPLIES 2
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Teaming behavior

Default, Load Balancing should be done by session, you can check the info below to get more info on Cisco LACP load balancing and the transmit methods supported by hp.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/cether/configuration/guide/ce_lnkbndl.html#wp1053763

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/whitepapers.html

rgds,
lmm
TRS
Frequent Advisor

Re: Teaming behavior

Balancing network traffic on a server can increase the throughput on the server and the network, enhancing performance in addition to providing basic fault tolerance. HP's load balancing distributes network traffic among the members of a network adapter (NIC) team to utilize all available network paths. The HP Network Configuration Utility provides a user-friendly method to configure load balancing and to view the resulting distribution of network traffic. HP makes this technology available to all HP ProLiant customers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. This paper describes the load balancing options available through the HP Network Configuration Utility