Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about NIS

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Two questions about NIS

Hi there --

We are running an NIS environment with the master server is running HP-UX 11.11 while the slaves are running HP-UX and Fedora operating systems.

I had two questions concerning NIS:

1. The version of ypserv running on the Fedora systems is 2.12.1, and I wanted to know how to determine the version of the same on the HP-UX systems.

2. Older versions of NIS utilized UDP broadcasts as part of their operations. What version, if any, changed that to multicast, or a similar method?

Thanks.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
3 REPLIES
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Two questions about NIS

Basically NIS in HP-UX is similar to Solaris. There are no changes, but when it comes to NIS+ some differences.

I think, you can have a look at /var/yp directory to find out any configuration file specifying the version. ( e.g. /var/yp/binding/domainname.version ).

I don't have any NIS environment, so can't check it out.
Regards
Shibin
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> 1. The version of ypserv running on the
> Fedora systems is 2.12.1, and I wanted to
> know how to determine the version of the
> same on the HP-UX systems.

Why? NIS on HP-UX is probably not GNU NIS,
so I would not expect its programs to have
version numbers which would be comparable to
GNU/Linux NIS version numbers.
Anshumali
Esteemed Contributor

I might be wrong here but I hope you can start exploring:
swlist -l product -v NisLdapServer

Cheers!
Anshu
Dreams are not which you see while sleeping, Dreams are which doesnt allow you to sleep while you are chasing for them!!