Re: Unable to browse the network.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Ivan,
This was a good question you asked.

<Even with IIS down, you should be able to access the shared folder using standard UNC. If you can't then the shared folder is not shared.>>

I don't know whether or not I want to access these FOLDERS (don't know if they are shared) via web client network.
All I know is XP clients can net use UNC and get to find what I need to do from the server.
When I run "net use" from any of the XP clients, I see the target folder is a Web Client Network resource type. remember?
see attached.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Two more questions.

With IIS UP on 192.168.91.223, using a web browser, if you type in the following URL:

http://192.168.91.223/desarrollo

Can you connect?

What is the ouput of:

net view \\192.168.91.223

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

I type http://192.168.91.223/desarrollo and the URL automatically changes into the following:
http://192.168.91.223/Desarrollo/default.aspx

attached is the right pane of the result:

And this is the output of net view \\192.168.91.223:

D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net view \\192.168.91.223
Shared resources at \\192.168.91.223

Share name Type Used as
Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESARROLLO Disk

HPLaserJ Print
HP LaserJet 2200 Series PCL
NETLOGON Disk
Recurso compartido del servidor de inicio de sesi├Г┬│n
ramonEZL Disk

SISTEMAS Disk

SYSVOL Disk
Recurso compartido del servidor de inicio de sesi├Г┬│n
The command completed successfully.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the ouput i get two conclusions:

1 - The desarrollo directory is shared, like any other share.

2 - There is a missconfiguration on the IIS, maybe a virtual directory (a.k.a. webdav folder of web folder), if you delete o reconfigure the Desarrollo virtual directory on IIS (192.168.91.223), the problem should be fixed.

Attached is a sample of a virtual directory configuration on IIS. This configuration allows the access through webdav and web browser, like you have. But, in your configuration there is something wrong, i thing that the virtual directory Desarrollo is not pointing to the desarrollo directory.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

I am checking the IIS configuration.

I deleted the desarrollo folder.
from an XP client I am still able to browse one folder named desarrollo at the same server.

You see? My point is it doesn't matter the desarrollo folder is shared or not. The contents are not the same.

Thank you for your support.
This is just a desperating issue.
I'll keep searching.
regards.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Edgar,
after you deleted the desarrollo folder, do you read again "Unable to browse network"?

On your server, on myComputer, what folder do you see as shared?

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

Antonio,

I am able to "Browse the network" as long as I have the Web Client service started on the Server that's acting as a client to connect to a folder called desarrollo.
As by now, I am in DEEP doubt as to where this folder is located at.
I know it is located at a W2003 Server because I can connect from an XP Client this way:
net use W: \\dstdcdev01\desarrollo
Then I run "net use" again and I see my XP client is connected to a Web Client Network resource type.

All I need is use above W2003 server the same way I'm using the XP client. that's all.
So far, I am totally unable because regardless of whether I use net use g: \\servername\desarrollo or net use r: \\serverIPaddress\desarrollo I get connected to a shared folder at ... $%&@/.├В┬б'+`MJklsd

While I was writing this down, I tried again.
Only thing I did different from previous attempts is I restarted the target server yesterday before leaving.

It is working now.
I don't have the least idea what made it work. Honestly, I haven't done anything different than before.
I don't have any problem admitting the IPs were different, or I was wrong in something, or I was doing something wrong, BUT it is not the case.

It is solved out now.
Congratulations to the weird bug that was preventing the issue from working and finally got away!
I'll keep searching just to let the forum know HOW this get solved out.

Thank you much.
Regards.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

In this case you consider this trouble solved but you have to keep attention on your network.

Hasta la vista!

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

I do consider it solved out.
I disconnected the resource and connected it again just to make sure it wasn't a dream.
: ))
It keeps working.
But yes, I must keep an eye on my network.

Graccie.
Ciao.