Networking
1752661 Members
5959 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home on Presario Kills Internet Connection?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Watson_4
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home on Presario Kills Internet Connection?

Could upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home on a Presario 2100US Eliminate the Internet Connection?

By performing an upgrade to XP Pro on a Presario 2100US with Windows XP Home installed, the ability to make a net connection via dialup was suddenly lost!

I've tried various things including going to "Control Panel", "Network and Internet Connections", and "Creating a New connection." I've also tried several "clean" installs of the AOL 8.0 software as well.

I think it's a #711 connection error and the problem seems to relate to an inabiltiy to start the "Remote Access Connection Manager" since I receive an error message, #5, that "could not start on local computer."

Similarly, I can not start the "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager," receiving a #1068 error message "could not start the remote access auto connection manager on local computer. The dependency service or group failed to start."

It also appears that the wizard(s), to which one is so often prompted, do not work properly either in this case. There's possibly a configuration error of some kind it seems - somehow, somewhere?

It just will not let me start the Remote Access Connection Manager or the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager!

Curiously, when performing the upgrade/install, the dynamic version appeared to not go through properly due to a lost internet connection and so a static one was selected.

Isn't the default selection for XP Pro, as well as XP Home, to have these services already started and "on!"

Is it somehow possibly seeing/thinking that the local computer/network is not giving access/permission and thus won't start?

All I really want to do at this point is to simply get this one laptop computer going with the ability to obtain dialup access to the web. It's perhaps seeing a nonexistent LAN as "down" and this unable to grant permission? I think it will not let the computer access the internet directly since it is theoretically dissconnected from the LAN, based on the unplugged LAN depiction in "Network Connections!" It's conceivably looking for an entire domain, not just one computer with no LAN connection?

In any case, I'll need to make the laptop able to use a dialup connection to an ISP somehow!

Any ideas what's wrong and for a "solution?" Please let me know what you think. Thanks again, in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Start with the simple things. Does it see the modem? Perhaps you need to replace the stock XP modem driver for the Compaq one which tends to be a little different.

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_result.asp?Model=5239&Os=0

Go to Control Panel and click on the Modem icon. It should show it as Attached. Highlight the modem and click on Properties. Then on Diagnostics. Then on Query the Modem. If it is working it should comeback with some information and a few OK's.

If it doesn't then go to Device Manager (I expect it's on one of the tabs on the System icon maybe under Hardware. I have a Win2K and no XP so I'm guessing here.) Find the modem and double click on it. It should open a new properties window. Go to the Driver window and Click on update driver then point it at the driver you downloaded from the link I gave you. (If the link doesn't work go to:

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_list.asp

and fill in the form and it will take you to the same page.)

After you update the driver (and reboot I suppose) go back to the modem icon and run the diagnostics again.

If that doesn't help then disable any network cards via Device Manager and try again.

If it still doesn't work come back here and we will try some other stuff.

Ron
Mark Watson_4
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your kind reply and help.

FWIW, the modem had seemingly checked out fine. And while drivers are often an issue for sure, from what (little) I know they are the same in both XP Pro and XP Home. And also, the notebook is new, and I do not think there were any updates on them thusfar. Do you feel they were corrupted somehow? In any case the drivers seem to be fine as well. FWIW, the upgrade/install went rather smoothly, otherwise!

The other matter that finally came to my attention was this:

"You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP"

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329441

SYMPTOMS
If you install Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP and then use the System Restore feature to restore Windows to a state before the installation of the service pack, you may experience the following symptoms:
You cannot create a remote access or Dial-Up Networking connection. All items on the "Network Connection" page of the New Connection Wizard are unavailable (dimmed).
The Network Connections folder is empty.
The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) services do not start because of a dependency failure.
The following events are displayed in the System log of the Event Viewer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

When you try to start the Remote Access Connection Manager service, you receive the following error message:

Could not start the Remote Access Connection Manager service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied
NOTE: You receive this error message although you are logged on with an account that has administrative privileges.
CAUSE
This problem occurs because the System registry hive is not correctly restored to the Windows registry after you restore Windows.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, reinstall SP1 for Windows XP.
WORKAROUND
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

If you cannot reinstall SP1, verify that the Objectname string value is set to LocalSystem in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan

After you do so, delete the following registry subkeys. The presence of these subkeys on a Windows XP-based computer that does not have SP1installed can cause the symptoms described earlier:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

----

So I wonder if this is perhaps "it", or a related issue at least.

FWIW, I did not, at least knowingly, do any "RESTORE!"

Perhaps MS considers an upgrade to "Pro" from "Home" as a restore or something?

Also, since I can't access the internet any longer via the "disabled" Compaq notebook in question that actually needs it, a fresh download of "SP1a" directly to it is seemingly not posssible. Or is it?

I guess I may just have to order the "SP1a" CD and wait the suggested 2-4 weeks? It's only $10., but wow, that's a really long time to wait!

Any other possible suggestions anyone? Is there another reasonable alternative perhaps?

Or should I perhaps just do a quick regedit, expect the problem to go away, and take my chances?

Should I feel lucky?

Thanks again everyone!

Mark Watson_4
Occasional Contributor

Just to follow up and conclude this, I decided to just go ahead and use the suggested workaround and edit the registry. It only took a minute or two!

And FWIW, so far so good, thankfully.

And I then simply did the XP "SP1" download via a dialup net connection. Slow, but it seemingly worked fine.

Thanks very much once again!

Mark
Susan Barrie

I have been having exactly the same issue with my new presario. I work in the web industry and need internet like air!

What was your workaround in the registry? I am afraid to go in there at the best of times so if you could elaborate that would be very helpful.

Thanks
Dave_253
Occasional Advisor

When I lost my internet connection after upgrading to Windows XP Pro from Windows XP Home Edition on my new HP Pavillion ZE5470 laptop, I called HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836, and they walked me through two registry key edits (deletions, actually). It was related to a known Microsoft software issue for which there is a posted solution. After completing the registry edits, my internet connection returned to exactly the way it was before the upgrade. Unfortunately, we weren't able to solve other problems with the USB ports that appear to have been caused by the upgrade. I know the information is sketchy, but I just wanted to let you know that two registry edits fixed my internet connection after my upgrade to XP Pro, and HP Technical support provided a walk-through of the Microsoft-issued fix. Hope that's of some help.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ian_116

I have the same problem, but upgraded from 98 to xp pro. I don't have the ability to delete my ieee connection, and the only new connections I can add are broadband, everything else is greyed out.
It has nothing to do with the type of computer, or AOL, since I have a homemade pc and a local dial up company.

Help?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ian:

I suggest you click on NEW MESSAGE and start a new thread. You'll get more attention that way.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger