1752788 Members
5968 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

User Group in samba

avisdev
Advisor

User Group in samba

Wats the procedure for creating user groups in samba , how to add users into it. Any modifications to be done in smb.conf for it ? Pl give a detailed procedure. I use 11.23 pa machine. I use A.02.04 Hp-CIFS depot.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: User Group in samba

Is your server a member of a Windows domain (an Active Directory domain, or an old NT4-style domain), or a standalone Samba server?

-------------

If your Samba is a member of a Windows domain (security=domain or security=ADS), then you create your user groups in the domain (using Windows tools), and then make sure Samba can map it to a suitable Unix group.

If you are running winbindd, it can automatically create a corresponding Unix group and associate it with the Windows domain-level group for Samba. But if the name of the Windows group is incompatible with Unix group name rules (or if you are not running winbindd), you'll have to create the group and association manually, using Samba's "net groupmap" command.

This is a big subject. For instructions and procedure examples, please read:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html

-----------

If your Samba is configured as a standalone server (security=user), then Samba uses the user accounts and group memberships of the HP-UX system directly. Just create a group using the standard HP-UX tools: the "groupadd" command can be used to create groups, and "usermod -G" can be used to add users to the group. Or you can use SAM or SMH to manage the groups using a graphic interface, which might be easier if you need to add many users to a group without removing their existing group memberships.

MK
MK
avisdev
Advisor

i have a unix group say abc , i need to add this group to samba . I made admin user as root in smb.conf , now i do
net rpc group add abc -U root
Enter 's password:

Failed to add group 'abc' with: Access is denied.

Wat is the issue here ?
avisdev
Advisor

I am doing this to a stand alone samba server , acting as pdc..
avisdev
Advisor

Is there any other thing i need to do up. I jus installed samba in my hp ux box and did this. Is there any security issue to be modified in smb.conf ? I gave SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege and SeAddUsersPrivilege to the user ,but still i don get it.