5075 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VAX/VMS 5.5-2 (or later ?) and X.25 over LLC2

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

VAX/VMS 5.5-2 (or later ?) and X.25 over LLC2

Hi All!

I lookking for info about of possibility of implemenetation X.25 over LLC2 on VAX?

Any reference ?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
john Dite
Frequent Advisor

Ruslan,

What do you exactly mean by your phrase

> Any reference ?

Assuming you would want to integrate this in the context of DECnet+ then you would be looking at a minimum OpenVMS Version of 7.1(?).

How are you planning to implement the management of this? If you were to use the management model as used on Alpha (where LLC2 was first supported), how are you going to be able to introduce the EMA entity definitions without the support from HPE, ignoring the fact that are very few people, if any, left that understand what needs to be done? Remember, unlike Tru64, NCL$GLOBALSECTION.DAT needs to be statically built.

If it is just a case of being able to connect a VAX (on OpenVMS V5.5-2) running VAX PSI to a system, that only understands X.25 LLC2, then I would go with an intermediate system that can mediate between these two protocol stacks. I have, I think in the past, pointed to a firm that provides such gateways, although as you can imagine there is not much demand for this anymore.

VAX PSI <=== X.25/X.21 ===> GWY <=== X.25/LLC ===> Other System

John

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Hi, John!

I have VAX/VMS 5.5-2 + DECnet-IV and I'm need to route X.25 traffic from the VAX to  with a Cisco router. I cannot change at VAX site anything. There is two (?)  possible (?)  way: XGAP (X.25 Gateway Access Protocol - I cannot find any technical information about this thing) or ... X.25 over LLC2 (XOL ISO/IEC 8881, I know that this thing has been supported under DECNet-Plus).

Cisco don't support XGAP, VAX/VMS 5.5-2 (with DECNet-IV)  don't support XOL ...

john Dite
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ruslan,

this is what I would chose:

VAX/VMS 5.5-2 + DECnet-IV + VAX PSI (I assume you have a synchronous interface).

VAX <== X.25/X.21 ==> Bintec(Funkwerk) GWY <== X.25/LLC2 ==> Cisco Router

Using a Bintec Router you could also map the X.25/X.21 connection to XOT instead of X.25/LLC2

Now as far as the Bintec(Funkwerk) GWY is concerned there are more recent models such as the R4300 which has 2 X.21 interfaces. However the new HW retails at approx. 1050 EUR. The SW can be downloaded for free. Check whether this includes the R4x00-X25 (24562) X.25 full feature license for at least one X.21 interface.

see http://www.bintec-elmeg.com/en/Downloads-bintec-R4300-445,113565,118524,liste.html

Now there are older model like the Bianca  Brick XL2 which you will most probably find on EBAY, at least here in GY. These were routers, where you have to add interface cards similar to what we did on the DECNIS, so if you are looking here you should look for models with the appropriate XL2 cards (ie. LAN and X.21).

The documentation and SW for these old models you can download from here. You should also check that the appropriate X.25 licenses are available with the model.

ftp://ftp.bintec-elmeg.com/bintec/old_products/bintec/brick-generation/brick_xl/

The R4300 has a Web-based configurator, as well as terminal CLI based Setup Menue to do most of the configuration. However to configure some of this mapping (ie. between the X.21 interface and the LLC2/XOT interface), I think (have not done this in 6 years)  you still have to do this manually. That means that you have to set certain parameters in certain SNMP tables on the router.  The definitions were generic. 

Once you go down this route I should be able to help you with my old notes on the configurations I have done in the past.

If money is no object and you're planning to buy a new Bintec Router, get the BINTEC partners that are supplying you with the router to get you the informantion.

We used BINTEC at the German Federal Bank (till 2012) to map X.25/ISDN to X.25/LLC2 on OpenVMS / DECnet+ / X.25

Partner Banks < == X.25/ISDN ==> Bintec XL2 <== X.25/LLC2 ==> OpenVMS/DECnet+ & X.25

Bintec were chosen in preference to CISCO because the mapping definitions were generic, whereas the CISCO mapping definitions were always target/source related.

Hope this helps.

John 

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Hi !

Just for info:  X.25 over LLC2 == XGAP in real live, so ...

john Dite
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

slightly confused by your last post.

Maybe you would like to elaborate what you wanted to convey?

John