cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP Home Edition cannot see PC on network but Win 98 can

Jason Ma
Occasional Visitor

Win XP Home Edition cannot see PC on network but Win 98 can

Windows XP Home Edition cannot see a spefic Linux PC on the Entire Network Neighbourhood but all other Win 98 PC can.

The Win XP and the Win 98 PC share the same work group and they all run DHCP. The Win XP Pc can see all other varuous workgroups and the PCs in the Network Places. My network connection is fine and I can still see other PCs of the same workgroup. The problem had nothing to do the fact that target is is a Linux PC. Please kindly help
4 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Win XP Home Edition cannot see PC on network but Win 98 can

Try making an lmhosts entry on the XP system for the linux box (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) rename lmhosts.sam to lmhosts.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Marc-Aurele Brothier
Occasional Advisor

Which system is running the computer with the DHCP, and is there samba installed on the Linux PC?

May be you need to add tha ip-address of the Win XP pc's on the Linux PC,there is a file named hosts, open it and then adding this IP-Address.

Hope this help!
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Win 98 PCs use netbeui protocol to see other PCs in their neighborhoods. XP doesn't have it but it can be added:

http://www.dictacomm.com/XPHelp/XP_NetBEUI.htm

Tho this is not the best thing to do to a network but if all the 98s have it I guess it won't hurt to turn it on on the XP.

Is there a router in the way? What ports does the LINUX box listen on?

netstat -an

Network Neighborhood also uses broadcasts to certain ports to find other PCs. If the Linux box is not listening on the port then it won't be seen. Offhand I want to say they used to use 137 and have now moved to 445.

Is there a WINS server on the network?

Can the XP ping the Linux box? If you do
nslookup Linuxboxname
does it know the IP address?

Adding the Linux box to the LMHOSTS or HOSTS files will be a bit difficult unless you set the Linux box to a static IP or never turn it off or can reserve a particular IP address for it in the DHCP server. If DHCP gives it a new address you are back where you started from.

Ron