Networking
1752577 Members
5558 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win98 cannot see XP

Jane Pietras

Win98 cannot see XP

I have a small home network started. Using a Linksys Router (PCs to the Router, Router to a DSL modem). Both PC access the internet successfully.

I have installed NetSetup on both machines, have shared files and devices. Even created guest users on each. From the XP, I can access everything successfully on the Win98 machine.

However, I can not access anything in the other direction - that is the Win98 machine can not see the XP machine.

What am I missing in this equation?
PITA is as PITA does
21 REPLIES 21
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello !
Don't clear undestand your question. How Win98 doesn't see XP machine, in Network Neigborhood or not see it at all ?
If first, run WINS server on XP and write it's IP address in network properties on Win98.
If second, try to ping IP address of XP machine from Win98. If it doesn't reply from XP machine, check that default route on Win98 points to Lynksys Router's IP address and Linksys has route from Win98 IP to Win XP IP in his route table.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Scott Hower
Trusted Contributor

You described accessing files from one machine on the other...if the XP machine's drive is NTFS it will not be able to be 'read' by the 98 machine. It must be formatted as a FAT drive to be read by 98.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Windows XP required authentication before it will grant access to resources (files, printer, etc.)

Do one of the below:
1. Create a normal user account on the XP box with an assigned password. Give that User access to the shared area and files on the XP box. Then login on the 98 box with the same ID and password. OR....

2. Figure out what the current Windows 98 login and password are, and create the same account and password on the XP box. Give the user access to the files and share area.

By using the exact same account ID and password on each, from 98 you will attach to the share without prompting.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Hi
Like said before, do you mean that the W98 can ping the XP but not access it?
If so, be sure that the local net defined in the XP has the firewall disabled.

And, Scott, W98SE can really access and modify XP NTFS files: I have that at home!
Jorge
Dan Baxter
Frequent Advisor

You need to make sure your drive(or appropriate folder) is shared on the XP machine, with appropriate rights. I would give "Everyone" at least the ability to see the files, if not full control.

You are also possibly having a name resolution problem. If your XP machine always has the same IP address, you could create a lmhost file on the Win9x machine with the appropriate name & IP address in it. This should enable you to see the XP machine in Network Neighborhood and browse to it. Your other alternative would be WINS as mentioned above, but you did not say you had a server to run that on.
Those who are different, change the world. Those who are the same, keep it that way.
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

PC Running Windows 98

-Network Neighborhood
-Entire Network
-WorkGroupName
+XPComputer {but when opened says it is not on the network or inaccessible}
-Win98Computer
+Folder/Device A
+Folder/Device B
+Folder/Device C
+Folder/Device D
+XPComputer {but when opened says it is not on the network or inaccessible}
-Win98Computer
+Folder/Device A
+Folder/Device B
+Folder/Device C
+Folder/Device D

Thought if I displayed what each PC contains looking thru Windows explorer would help.

PC Running XP

-My Network Places
-Entire Network
-Microsoft Windows Network
+WorkGroupName - {but when opened it is empty}
+Folder/Device A on OldComputer (Win98Computer)
+Folder/Device B on OldComputer (Win98Computer)
+Folder/Device C on OldComputer (Win98Computer)
+Folder/Device D on OldComputer (Win98Computer)

I have both PC logon in as the same user, with the same password. On the XP, the user has admin level capabilties. I can map to the drives on the Win98 PC with no problem.

I have used the Network Wizard and selected the option of a residential gateway. Linksys did all the work automatically, since I do have only one IP address to my ISP.

It seems so close.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jane:

Please right click on Network Neighborhood on the WIN98 machine and go to Properties. Please post here what Clients, Services, and Protocols are installed.

Thanks!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

In addition to the account setup, you may need to edit the lmhosts.sam file on the Windows 98 box.

Look under C:\Windows for lmhosts.sam
Rename it to lmhosts.
Place an entry for the XP box in the form of:
ip_address system_name

192.168.1.42 my_xp_ws

That should allow NetBIOS to establish connections, the remainder will be due to permissions.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

Here they are:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Client for Netware Networks
Dial-up Adapter
Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapater
Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet
NDISWAN - Microsoft Virtual Private Adapter
TCP/IP - Dial UP Adapter
TCP/IP - Dial-up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
TCP/IP - Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

That's all of it

Tanx