5638 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win98 cannot see XP

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jane:

I don't know if this will solve your problem or not but it'll certainly improve performance. Delete all the items from your list that I've marked with an asterisk.

Client for Microsoft Networks

* Client for Netware Networks

Dial-up Adapter

Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)

Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapater

Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter

* IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter

* IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)

* IPX/SPX-compatible protocol - Dial-up Adapter Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet

NDISWAN - Microsoft Virtual Private Adapter

TCP/IP - Dial UP Adapter

TCP/IP - Dial-up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)

TCP/IP - Kingston Etherfix KNE1111TX PCI Fast Ethernet

File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Reboot your machine (it should force you to), then re-test. If problems persist, I'd like to see what the results of an IPCONFIG command would be. Go to a DOS/Command Prompt on BOTH machines and type IPCONFIG and press the Enter Key (if command is invalid for WIN98, use WINIPCFG instead). Please post these results.

Thanks!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

On the XP machine -

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge 5:
Connection - specific DNS suffix:
IP Address: ###.###.#.102
Subnet Mask: ###.###.###.#
Default Gateway: ###.###.#.1

On the win98 machine:

0 Ethernet adapter:

IP Address: ###.###.#.101
Subnet Mask: ###.###.###.#
Default Gateway: ###.###.#.1

I didn't supply the addresses for obvious reasons, but the address info is identical between the two machines, except for the ending of the IP Address being a digit different.

BTW, another piece of this puzzle (myabe). I am using a router. When using the setup wizard, I chose the residential gateway. Was that the correct selection?

BTW, when I did create a LMHOSTS file on the WIN98 machine (as was also suggested), I could no longer access the Win98 nachine from the XP machine.

I'm accustomed to Plug-N-Play - but this has been more like Plug-n-Pray

Thanx again,

Jane
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jane:

I wonder if it's the 'wizard' that's caused the problem. I never use it. The info you sent me (Ethernet adapter Network Bridge 5:) has me puzzled. Do you know what brand of Network Card (NIC) is in the XP machine? Also, please post your router model number. The same field on my XP machine (also connected to a shared broadband router) looks like this:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. : 192.168.2.3
Subnet . . : 255.255.255.0
Default . . : 192.168.2.1

If I were there, I'd delete all your networking (remove the NIC from Device Manager) and click REFRESH to re-detect the NIC. The default settings should allow the NIC to get an IP address from your router. I expect that then the 'bridge' reference should go away from the IPCONFIG output and the networking should behave better.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

The NIC card is a Realtek RTL8139 Famiily PCI Fast Ethernet nic
there is also an entry for 1394 Net Adapter.

The Router is a Linksys NetworkEverywhere - Model # NR401.

When I was digging up this info, I came across the bridge in My Network Places. It had never been there before - must have been created during some pass of Network Wizard. Well, I deleted it. Now the info from IPCONFIG reads the same as yours. One thing that changed is that the IP address ends with a 0 instead of the 1 that it had with the bridge config.

I'm sure the wizrd has a lot to do with it. Currently, there are no computers showing up in the Work Group the wizard me create. I can still see the Win98 devices as part of a local network.

Thanx,
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to everyone for your help - The Win98 machine is now successfully seeing the devices on the XP machine.

Roger,

Your info and guidance thru this was very educational and provided the groundwork to solving the problem.

Jon,

It was the need of LMHosts.

The Wizard had created this Bridge thing that, thanks to Roger it got identified. Jon, when I created the LMHosts file, I was using the IP address assign to the BRIDGE. So, after I deleted the bridge and created another LMhosts file using the LAN IP address - it all came together.

Thanx again - you earned you pay today (and for several more days.)

Jane
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Ah, but have we earned any points (since we don't get paid). ;^)

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

It's gone again.

I had the XP devices displayed on the WIN98 machine. Closed Window Explorer and ready to test out printing from the Win98 to the newly discovered printer on the XP. Haven't been able to see it again. The only thing that happened was my guy went into IE.

It's like the little train - I know I can, I know I can.

It still displayed the XP machine's name, but say it can't access it when you attempt to open it.

Jane_18
Occasional Advisor

Roger,

It's gone again.

I had the XP devices displayed on the WIN98 machine. Closed Window Explorer and ready to test out printing from the Win98 to the newly discovered printer on the XP. Haven't been able to see it again. The only thing that happened was my guy went into IE on the XP.

It's like the little train - I know I can, I know I can.

It still displayed the XP machine's name, but say it can't access it when you attempt to open it.

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Jane:

Please try this on the XP PC. Click Start/My Network Places. Right click the Local Area Connection icon ( if it's not visible, you may have to click on View Network Connections under Network Tasks in the left pane (you may have to close folders to see Network Tasks). Select Repair from the list that appears when you right-click Local Area Connection. See if that helped.

If no help, I feel like we need to 'start over'. Maybe just going back and making sure each PC is 'healthy' will solve the problem(s). I would suggest going to www.windowsupdate.com on each machine and install all the fixes, patches, drivers, etc. It's tedious but worthwhile. I'm particularly concerned about XP SP1.

Another thing that concerns me is I cannot find any info about your Linksys product on their website. Could you please check to label(s) on it and post the complete model information. If there's nothing more than what you've already posted, you may need to contact Linksys and describe your problem to their tech support people to see if they have any suggestions.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Douglas Brander
Occasional Contributor

My new XPPRO mach wouldn't see my old network neighborhood machines and vice versa. Google turned up many associated problems but what ended up fixing it was this:
Back up what you have-doh!
Then update winxp pro from the microsoft updates website - updates contain numerous fixes/patches.

This link below fixed everything for me:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp