1751686 Members
4465 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows XP-Networking

Tommy Wright
Occasional Contributor

Windows XP-Networking

I have an hp6640c running XP. I recently purchased cable internet. My computer will receive packets from the ISP but the computer will not accept them. The ISP assigns the IP address, but my computer doesn't accept them.

Anyone have an answer?
4 REPLIES 4
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Sounds like it's directly connected to the cable modem... not a good idea for a windows pc. :)

Your NIC is also setup to obtain it's address via DHCP? If you open a command prompt and execute "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" what happens?

Anyhow, you could also look at the windows firewall settings, there could be something in there that's rejecting the traffic. I would be reluctant to mess w/ the windows firewall if it's directly attached to the internet and add a personal firewall/router to my lan.

-denver

Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

I would think that if you are receiving packets, you probably are picking up an IP Address, as stated above, you can check at a command prompt, just use the ipconfig /all command. Since you are receiving packets, it is likely a firewall issue. Have you talked to the ISP about the issue? They would know what particular configuration works best with their product, I would think.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure,

but there is an option in properties of network where you get a radio button asking whether you want to give an ip address or accept some.

Have a check on it.
Vibhor Kumar Agarwal
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi Tommy,

If you are running a firewall, this should be disabled until you get this sorted out.

The easiest way to get this working is to connect your PC directly to the cable modem. After you have this working, you can insert a little router between the cable modem and your PC. The router helps protect your PC from Internet threats.

Your ISP undoubtedly has howto pages, setup instructions, FAQs, etc. After you get familiar with that documentation, I suggest call your ISP tech support #. There could be a problem on their end with your new account.

- Jay
check Facebook