New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wireless Connectivity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Wireless Connectivity

Hello,

I got two laptops, one is connected to Internet.I want to share the internet connectivity via Wireless networking. One laptop has got 2915BG and other has 2100 adapters.

Please let me know detailed steps to share the connectivity via Ad-hoc mode. I use ASDL/Lan to connect to Internet.

Thanks,
Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Arun:

What OS is running on the laptops?

Have you thought of just getting a wireless router? (if possible). It is probably the easiest thing to do.

IF you're running Windows XP, then open up your "My Network Places" properties, open the properties of the network connection that is attached to the internet, go to the advanced tab and click the Network Setup Wizard. The wizard should guide you though setting up Internet Connection Sharing.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Hi, check this article:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Hello All,

Thanks for your posts, Laptop 1 is with Windows XP Pro and its connected to Internet.

Laptop 2 is Windows 2000 Professional.

Also, in Ad hoc networking, I am not able to ping each others. If i set the IPs manually, It will affect the Internet connection via LAN/ADSL modem.

Router will be the easiest which i have done already, don't have a router handy. Should import from US soon.

Any helps will be greatful.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

In Network Connections, you should have 2 entries under "LAN or High-Speed Internet" - one for the wireless lan and one for the ethernet.

If you right-click the wireless lan and select properties, then select the "Advanced" tab, there should be a check box to enable Internet Connection Sharing.

You will probably need to set the IP address on the wireless LAN adapters manually - you haven't a DHCP server for that (wireless) network. Make them something like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2

There is also a link on the properties page that will open up the "help" for Internet Connection Sharing.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Why don't you just link the two units through the ADSL modem, which, for all intents and purposes, is a router?
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

I am able to connect two systems by manually assigning IP addresses like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, But when i try to share the internet connectivity, it fails to connect. I installed squid with SSL support on WinXP and could able to connect to Internet from Windows 2000.

I would like to share the internet connection between two laptops and shouldn't use Squid proxy server in any case.

Any helps will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Arun
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

If you have Windows, use Internet Connection Sharing. However, I've had nothing but trouble trying to get ICS working with ad-hoc wireless NICs.