Networking
1752587 Members
4750 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP Freezes on installation of Netgear 108mps WG511T

Manny_8

XP Freezes on installation of Netgear 108mps WG511T

i am having similar problems with installing a Netgear 108mbps WG511T Wireless card in the Compaq Evo N1020V.

The installation of the drivers is successful from CD but the machine freezes when you insert the PC card into the machine as suggested by the instructions. It detects the card and recognises it but immediately freezes after that. I have tried to install the latest drivers form the Netgear website but the proble is still there.

I have re-installed XP, fully updated with SP1a and all related updates.

The problems has been reported with a Belkin, USR and Netgear Wireless cards on the same model machine.

Any further suggestions would be mcuh appreciated
9 REPLIES 9
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Manny,

Have you tried updating the BIOS and the various drivers on the machine?

Another thing is do you have the Odessey client installed? Since XP can support WPA if you install the appropriate recommended patch, you may not need it anymore and removing it could cut down on the number of variables.

Good luck!
Seth
David Arnold_2

I just ran into the same problem last two days...here is what I did to get around it (finally...)

1. If the driver is installed, uninstall it.
2. Insert the WG511T Netgear card into your cardbus slot.
3. Open up Device Manager (under System Control panel applet --> Hardware)
4. Find the unknown ethernet controller list in the "Other" device list with the yellow question mark.
5. Disable this device.
6. Install the WG511T driver/software.
7. Go back into device manager, and find the disabled NIC now listed with the other network cards.
8. Enable the NIC.

You should now be able to use the card.

My config is as follows:

Compaq Evo N1020v
Windows XP sp1a +current hotfixes
Netgear WG511T SuperG wireless NIC
WG511T driver version 3.0.0.43 (listed as version 3.4 on Netgear's site)..this version includes the WPA additions

Hope this helps
Jody McCook

"1. If the driver is installed, uninstall it.
2. Insert the WG511T Netgear card into your cardbus slot.
3. Open up Device Manager (under System Control panel applet --> Hardware)
4. Find the unknown ethernet controller list in the "Other" device list with the yellow question mark.
5. Disable this device.
6. Install the WG511T driver/software.
7. Go back into device manager, and find the disabled NIC now listed with the other network cards.
8. Enable the NIC."

This worked for me! I tried EVERYTHING else. Thanks for the input!
Moyeen

2. Insert the WG511T Netgear card into your cardbus slot" <---- Hey even after I uninstall my driver....when ever I enter that stupid card in the notebook it detects the card, instead of coming under "Other" device list with the yellow question mark!...and teh PC hangs...
Jody McCook

MOYEEN,

2. Insert the WG511T Netgear card into your cardbus slot" <---- Hey even after I uninstall my driver....when ever I enter that stupid card in the notebook it detects the card, instead of coming under "Other" device list with the yellow question mark!...and teh PC hangs..."

Does it detect the card as a Netgear WG511T? If so then there must still be a driver that it is finding and using to install the card. It may still be located somehwere on the hard drive (downloaded) or you may be leaving the install disk in the cd-rom drive. Look to be sure that you have deleted any remaining drivers that may be associated with a Netgear WG511T. The laptop should not recognize it as anything except "Other", unless it knows where to find the driver.
Salvador_11

Jody McCook,
Thanks a looOOOoood for your cooperation. BUT!!!! The prob now I am having is...after I am done with step no '6' ( Install the WG511T driver/software)and moved to Step '7', in the devicemanager I found the Netgear 108card under Network Adapter and..then A warning msg from XP pos-up saying that, " This software has not passed microsoft testing. Contact the vendor".!!!
Hmm....I think the bestthing to do is throw away the Netgear card. :D
Jody McCook

" This software has not passed microsoft testing. Contact the vendor".!!!
That is a fairly common warning. I think that I got the same message. You should be fine installing anyway. When I was done with my install, it was perfect. I could not believe it! I spoke to the guy I installed it for yesterday and he said that it is still working well with no problems at all. Let me know if there are any other questions.
George Smithson
Advisor

Slightly different card : WG5111 on Windows XP Pro (fresh install). Had same symptoms - system would freeze when the driver loads (when installing and also when booting if the card is enabled and driver install went far enough). Disabling card, installing and re-enabling card didn't work.

In some other thread, a poster said to install

- System Enhancements
- LidSwitch policy and
- AGP Bus Driver.

This worked for me. I didn't try to find if ALL of these are required. My guess is System Enhancements should do, but could be wrong.

Posting just to help future problem-hitters.
deepkhem

Seniors,

My problem is Same but bigger.

Compaq Evo N1020V Laptop with 512 MB Ram.
Netgear WG511 v1 Wifi Card.

The beauty is that wifi card works Perfect on this laptop if Win 2000 OS is used but With Win Xp is Freezes and Hang the whole laptop.

Tried all Solution mentioned on this tread.

But no my Data and laptop is jammed from network as I dont have Win 2000 any more and It hangs in Win Xp.

Please Help!