1748072 Members
5745 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP Networking

Roy Cichon
Occasional Advisor

XP Networking

The network connection keeps dropping every so often causing the user to log off then log back on again. Have reset the reg settings for auto disconnect, but no help there.
Anyone else seen and been able to fix this problem?
Thanks.
-R
Philippians 4:13
4 REPLIES 4
Decroos Marc
Frequent Advisor

maybe just 10/100 Mbit autosense problem
Did you test with the driver fixed on 10Mbit half-duplex ?
Jeff Hines_1

Run a test on the Data Line. Could possibly be bad.

If there isn't an available data line tester laying around, try moving another machine there and see if the results are the same.

If not, verify that you have a compatible NIC that is supported by Win XP.

I always buy Intel or 3Com nics, they seem to be the best for a few bucks more.
paul fritzsche
Advisor

1. Put NIC on 10 (or 100) Mbit Half-duplex) If you have it on Auto-Sense this happens (Ive been there)
2. Switch the cable. Might be some glitch somwhere. Try to wobble the connector and see if it happens. In that case, switch cable
3. Check NIC is supported by XP (havent seen any that hasnt been, some people say they actually axists =)

/Paul
Roy Cichon
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the answers, I actually considered the AutoSense setting on the NIC, but worked on a few other things first. There are two identical workstations on the network that were not having the problem. Also, when I got there, we finally narrowed it down to happening when she would exit out of Excel at times. After loading all service packs (OS & Office XP) with no help, I noticed the one thing that was different from the other two workstations: Offline Files on her Documents folder. I disabled Offline Folders and so far, no more problems. I haven't heard any problems with Office and offline folders, but maybe there is something. If that did not fix the problem, I will start again with the NIC settings and go from there. I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks again...
-R
Philippians 4:13