New Discussion

card replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
admin07
Occasional Advisor

card replacement

Hi All,

We have rx8640 vpar & want to replace the AD194-60001 PCI/PCI-X 1000Base-T 2-port 4Gb FC/2-port 1000B-T Combo Adapter online. Can you please provide the procedure for this. Also after replace fc card SAN team is updating the new WWN number. But OS side what things we need to update as this will change the WWN & MAC address

11 REPLIES 11
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Re: card replacement

admin07
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,

Can anybody provide the detail information on this as we are stuck due to this?

Thanks

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Use the 'pdweb' command (may need to run 'pdweb -t' for terminal mode). Select 'o' to perform OLAR actions.   Select your card press Enter.  Now use the 'r' key to replace the card online.  Follow the instructions you see on screen from here.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
admin07
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Robert.

Please find attached plan to  to replace it using olrad.

Cheers.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Command line is good to of course.  What pdweb will do for you though is run a Critical Resource Analysis on the card to check that its not being used for anything active such as mounted filesystems, active volume groups or active LAN interfaces.  You can run the CRA via command line:  olrad -C slotid

> Hope except from updating the WWN from SAN side nothing required to do from OS side (like disk disk remap & network updation as MAC address will change).

You should not need to do anything.  The path to your LUNs on the will not change.  The LAN interface configuration doesnt care that the MAC address changes.

-Bob

----------------
admin07
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob.

So do you mean instead of using olrad -r slot_id, it is safe to use olrad -C slot_id. so what  need to use again to power on the slot after card replacement as I was supposed to use olarad -R slot_id.

admin07
Occasional Advisor

Can anybody please provide help on this?

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

What I meant by:

> you can run the CRA via command line:  olrad -C slotid

was that you can run this to perform a critical resource analysis on the card.  This advises you if anything is using the resources that the card provides.  Basically this report tells you if its "safe" to remove the card online.   The -r and -R options are used as you first indicated. 

Check the man pages....its the easist and quickest way to get definitions to command options.

-Bob

----------------
admin07
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks Rob.

Can anybody let me know that before executing olara -r slot_id do we need to suspend it & how it can be done?