108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cifsmounts to Oracle CMSDK

SOLVED
Go to solution
bfrench
Advisor

cifsmounts to Oracle CMSDK

I have a cifsmount connected to an ORALCE CMSDK nfsmount. I could mount this with nfs but I canтАЩt get pass the file permission on the oracle nfs mount. With cifsmount I can login the users onto the mount point.
Problem:
The performance with the cifsmount is poor. The copy from the mount to local file system times out.

I believe I could resolve this problem within cifsclient.cfg.

If anyone is doing a mount to an Oracle nfs mount point using cifsclient could you send me some suggestions to update the cifsclient.cfg file.

Thanks,
Brian
6 REPLIES 6
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor

Hello, Brian,

This is Eric in the HP CIFS Client software lab. I do not understand your environment. Please provide an explicit, detailed description. For example, how many systems are involved? What operating systems are they running? Which one has exported the nfs directory and which one has mounted it? Which system is acting as CIFS server? Also, what is Oracle CMSDK?

It seems unlikey any setting in the configuration file will affect this, but without a clear understanding of your setup I cannot say with any confidence.

Thanks,
-Eric
bfrench
Advisor

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the response.

Our environment has two systems.
HP rx4640 running HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 and a Linux System running Suse 9.3.

Suse 9.3 server
Application: Oracle CMSDK (Content Management System Development Kit)
This application runs its own NFS. The mount points from CMSDK are configured in the application management tool so there is no information in /etc/exports. All network communication is controlled with the tool. (I don├в t know why Oracle will not let the OS do its job)

Client server:
HP rx4640 (11.23). We are running cifsclient from this server attempting to connect to the mount point being produced by the CMSDK application. NFS port on both systems is set to 2049. (System NFS on Suse9.3 is turned off so it does not conflict with CMSDK NFS) I can connect to the mounts but when I attempt to copy a file I get the following errors in the current cifsclient log /var/opt/cifsclient/debug/client-log.1664

01-30 18:00:28.164 [16] pslsocket: connection closed by server
01-30 18:00:28.164 [0] server: srvConnect server=sus-tst-cms.schwarzpharma.com, connectTimeout=5000, requestTimeout=60000
01-30 18:00:28.494 [16] pslsocket: connection closed by server
01-30 18:00:28.494 [0] server: srvConnect server=sus-tst-cms.schwarzpharma.com, connectTimeout=5000, requestTimeout=60000

Since everything else seems to be working okay I thought there might be a configuration change in cifsclient.cfg that would help with the timeout problem.

Thanks,
Brian
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor

Brian,

Is there a CIFS server running on the Suse system? In order for any CIFS client to operate on a remote, exported directory (on the Suse system in your case), there must be a CIFS server running on that remote system configured to export the directory ("share" in CIFS parlance), and to handle authentication for clients attempting to access it.

If CMSDK has CIFS server functionality built in (as apparently it does an NFS server), it should be able to interoperate with HP's CIFS Client. The solution may need to come from Oracle support. Otherwise you could try to share the directory via Samba.

You have indicated you can log users into the server via CIFS, which would indicate there is some server software on the Suse system that supports the CIFS protocol. Exactly what commands do you use to establish the CIFS mount and logins, and what results does 'cifslist' give?

The next troubleshooting step is to enable more logging on the CIFS Client, in particular, in the configuration file, uncomment "nfsTrace", "cifsTrace", and "smbSequence". Then restart the Client, set up the mounts and logins, perform the action that fails, and then copy the logfile to a safe place.

I also must inform you this has essentially turned into a support call, so it should go to HP Support. We can much more effectively zero-in on the problem with the direct access a support call will afford. If you post the logfile and cifslist results here I'll see if there is anything obvious we can easily fix, otherwise, I'll request that you open a call.

-Eric
bfrench
Advisor

Thanks for the update Eric. I've attached a log file. You'll see there are connect Timeout. That seems to be where my problems start.

Thanks,
Brian
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Brian,

There are no timeouts in the log. The lines that contain the strings connectTimeout and requestTimeout are saying "I am attempting to make a TCP connection to the server; these are the timeout values that will be in effect".

Your log indicates that you are successfully connecting to a CIFS server on the system sus-tst-cms (NEGOTIATE), logging in (SESSION_SETUP), mounting a share (TREE_CONNECT), and reading a file.

It also indicates that the server closes the TCP connection to the client a few milliseconds after satisfying some of the read requests. Now CIFS servers (including Windows) close their TCP connections with clients periodically, so all CIFS clients must be able to transparently re-establish their connections to the server. This means the entire negotiate-login-mount sequence.

Four of these reconnections can be seen in your log, immediately upon a local file request, after a server disconnect. I have egrepped the relevant data out of your log and attached it. (Because of the design of the CIFS Client, local filesystem requests coming into the cifsclient appear in the log as nfs3 requests.)

It appears the log shows a shell request to read a .doc file, like cat or vi, and some listings of the file eLoader (the GetAttr requests at the end of the log). I do not see any errors in the log, but the frequency of the server disconnects, during the reads, is a concern.

It is still not clear whether the remote CIFS server is embedded in CMSDK or if it is Samba. The former, I expect. I believe that the disconnect problem is on the server , and that it can only be addressed by Oracle.

Also, from some of the formatting in the logfile, I can see that you do not have the latest HP CIFS Client. I suggest you grab the latest from software.hp.com; we are always making improvements. Check the Release Notes at docs.hp.com to see what has changed since the version you are using.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Good luck,
-Eric
Eric Raeburn
Trusted Contributor

Brian,

My attachment had unix newlines, so if your browser uses notepad.exe, it will appear as all one line. I have changed the format to DOS newlines and reposted here. I hope it works.

-Eric