1748151 Members
3554 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dns issue

fatherland_1
Occasional Contributor

dns issue

Hi all. I run a small network configured in a domain and I am having a problem with my dns server who is a domain controller too.When i ping from command prompt the name of dns server, it says to me that is pinging but with another IP Address from which i have configured: so this server i can remote with the usual IP: x.x.x.231 and with the ip that comes out from pinging the dns name: X.x.x.80. DO you know what might be the problem and how i can solve it? thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: dns issue

> When i ping from command prompt the name of dns server

Which server or workstation are you pinging from? This is where the probelm is. Check out how "this" server or workstation is resolving the name and IP of the DNS server. It may be using some local hosts file and not the DNS lookup map.
fatherland_1
Occasional Contributor

how can i see if it is using some local hosts or something? is it by checking the dns preferred and alternative server? thanks
TTr
Honored Contributor

> ...if it is using some local hosts...

What is it first of all? Windows, Linux, unix? That will tell you where to look. Other than that try nslookup if it is available.
fatherland_1
Occasional Contributor

yes, the server is windows2003 and the client is windows xp.thanks
Robert A. Pierce
Frequent Advisor

The hosts table is usually in

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Does that host have more than one IP address?

We had a user who had done odd things with his box, and ended up with four IP addresses. One was in the AD DNS, a different one was in WINS, and neither of those was his DHCP address.

Can you do an IPCONFIG /ALL on that box?

Also, do NBTSTAT -NA X.X.X.231
and NBTSTAT -NA X.X.X.80
and see what that gives you?