Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

entries in the /etc/hosts file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

entries in the /etc/hosts file

Hi,

Please can you let me know the best practice to follow the format to add the entries in /etc/hosts file for HP-UX 11.31. Need to add 5 SAP servers in /etc/hosts file just in case if DNS server is unavailable. And also please let us know what is the difference between these 2 hosts files.

Format-1

127.0.0.1      localhost         loopback
9.11.153.39    hostname.company.pvt        hostname 

Format-2

127.0.0.1      localhost         loopback
9.11.153.39    hostname          hostname.company.pvt

Thanks,

Narendra

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX > networking. -HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: entries in the /etc/hosts file

I always preferred putting the fully qualified host name first and then any aliases after that, like your first example.

According to the man page for hosts:

<QUOTE>

/etc/hosts should contain a single line for each host with the following information:

internet_address           official_host_name              aliases

<SNIP>

If your system is in a domain naming environment, an official host name consists of the full domain extended host name. For example:

192.45.36.5         hpdxsg.xsg.hp.com          hpdxsg              testhost

</QUOTE>

If you do an 'nslookup'  the results will be slightly different depending on how you have it in /etc/hosts.

For example, based on your first example, your nslookup results (if it looks in /etc/hosts) would be:

# nslookup hostname

Using /etc/hosts on:  hostname

looking up in FILES

Name: hostname.company.pvt

Address: 9.11.153.39

Aliases: hostname

Based on your 2nd example, your nslookup results would be:

# nslookup hostname

Using /etc/hosts on:  hostname

looking up in FILES

Name: hostname

Address: 9.11.153.39

Aliases: hostname.company.pvt

Narendra Uttekar
Regular Advisor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply i do have some more questions as below,

I know if i change the host entries in /etc/hosts file will not require any service restart. The change will take immediate effect once i save the entries in /etc/hosts file.

Do the problem as below still exist or it has been fixed as when we do some changes in /etc/resolv.conf file we have to restart the SAP application.

Presently, HP-UX does not have a Name Service Cache Daemon ; thus, for example, there is no running daemon that can be sent a signal to re-read the contents of the /etc/resolv.conf file.

For this reason, all applications that are compiled and linked to the resolver library under HP-UX, and thus read the /etc/resolv.conf file when started, must be restarted in order for the modifications to the /etc/resolv.conf file to take effect for these applications.

Enhancement Requests have been submitted to HP for the implementation of the Name Service Cache Daemon on HP-UX (QXCR1000519742 and QXCR1000509951).

Thanks,

Narendra

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As far as I know the Name Service Cache daemon has not yet been implemented in HP-UX.