Networking
1752796 Members
5827 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: home network where two win2k machines cannot see eachother.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

hi Cynthia,

The router is a Netopia R2020 (originally used for two bonded lines)

i am unsure what you mean "current settings in each of the workstations under network properties? "

neither are a part of a domain, both are apart of the same WORKGROUP....and obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically....

feel free to ask for more information, i will try and answer as best i can.
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Matt:

According to Netopia's website, the R2020 router is a dual-analog router (which means it should NOT have a cable connection). How confident are you about the model?

Replacing the router with a switch is not a viable solution (unless the switch happens to perform the DHCP Server function (which most do not).

I think if we can figure out the exact router information and get you 'talking' to it so you can change settings, etc, you'll be in business.

Why don't you post all/any info you can find on the router and we'll go from there. OR, you can just pay your cable company for a second IP address and be up and running with the switch (not the router).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Matt:

I just figured out that your router IS an R2020 but you're only using the 8-port switch part of the hardware. Right? That won't work!

I think you should go out and buy a proper broadband router (they typically support either DSL or cable or both) with an embedded 4-port (or 8-port) switch. A little setup and you'll be in business.

Linksys and D-Link are good choices, BTW.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Hi Roger,

I am pretty sure you hit the nail on the head, and everythign is based on this router. I am 99% certain that this is the router model R2020. I think i should be getting a proper router like you suggested...tahnks to all i will assign points accordingly
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Not sure how I got on the 98 vs XP kick but most of what I said still goes. If the subnets are not correct then they can't talk to each other. Open a cmd window (start/run/cmd) and type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

on the one with the 255.255.255.0 mask and
see if it gets a better mask the next time.

You can also go into services (right click on My Computer, select Manage then in the new window select Services and Applications and then Services. Find the DHCP client and stop it then start it again. Run the

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
inconfig /all

again and see if it gets a better mask.

You can also try disabling and enabling the Local Area Network and then repeat the

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

Finally you may have to completely remove TCP/IP protocol from the Local Area Network and reboot then reinstall it.

The builtin switch on the router should allow the PCs to talk. If you want to test it set up one PC to have 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and the other to have 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 and leave the gateway blank. Now open a cmd window on the 192.168.1.1 and

ping 192.168.1.2

If you get a reply then the switch is good. (You won't be able to get to the internet with this config. We just want to test that it is possible for them to talk.)

Since you are being assigned valid Internet IP addresses the router is not doing NAT and the DHCP may be telling your PCs to do something like PPPoE and assigning a password so if you turn off DHCP you may be missing some key information that you require to get on the internet. I'd try it anyway just to see if it works. Do not forget to give it the DNS server address at the same time. Did they give you any software to put on your PC when they installed the cable modem? This might be preventing your two PCs from talking to each other.

Ron

(By the way there is no point hiding your IP address with xxx.xxx if you give me the fully qualified domain name.

nslookup tlgw7.ktgc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

tells me the first two octaves)
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

thanks Ron, i will try these when i get home
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

ok, here is a new question, sort of along the same lines

If i upgrade one of the machines to winXP, get rid of the router, and use just the switch and ICS...do you think it will make a difference? or should i just spend the stupid 20$ on a linsys/dlink broadband router?

the wifey says no more spending... ;-)
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Matt:

I guess wifey doesn't get any value from the computer(s). Have you considered another wifey? ;-) Never mind, that's a different forum.

WINXP and ICS will allow both PCs to simultaneously access the internet and have seperate e-mail accounts but the second PCs access is (to some extent, at least) at the performance expense of the PC running ICS. Unless you know something I don't, WINXP costs more than a broadband router.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Thanks again Roger,

I will install a second HDD and install XP on it, adn try the ICS and see how i do.

RE: the new wifey...it would be too $$$$ to replace ;-)
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

ICS will expect you to have two NICs on the Master PC tho there is no need to upgrade (downgrade in my opinion) to XP. Win2K can do it too. So you would need to spend some $ there too. Of course, you could add a second NIC to each one and connect them with a crossover cable then they can talk over that without any problems and still get to the internet over their current connection. If you watch the Sunday sales you can get a NIC for $5 with a $5 rebate. My wife likes for me to buy rebate items because all of the rebate checks go to our vacation fund.

Ron