Networking
1752798 Members
5800 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

home network where two win2k machines cannot see eachother.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

home network where two win2k machines cannot see eachother.

Hi All,

I have attempted to 'network' two computers at home. I am using the local Cable Internet provider and a 8port soho switch. My only problem is that i can not see the other machine in the network neighbourhood. Both computers are accessing the internet fine, but when i browse the network neighbourhood, i only see the computer i am working on.

i have both computers setup to "automatically assign IP" and both are a part of the same "WORKGROUP"...now when in DOS and i issue an IPCONFIG command i am retuned with the following:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tlgw7.ktgc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.21.62
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :xxx.xxx.23.1

now on the second machine i have a a different subnetmask, ip address (which is normal) and different default gateway, similar to this

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tlgw7.ktgc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.23.90
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.254.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :xxx.xxx.23.1

i am not able to ping either machine from the other, but as i stated, both machines have internet access.

the last thing that is different is that one has a user name to log in as, where the other just logs in as administrator.

i will try and get more specifis as needed.

Regards,

Matt
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
19 REPLIES 19
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: home network where two win2k machines cannot see eachother.

First, XP does not by default have netbeui installed which is what your 98 is using to locate its network neighbors.

http://www.dictacomm.com/XPHelp/XP_NetBEUI.htm

Second, your IP masks and subnets do not match so you can't use the usually work around of putting entries in the LMHOSTS file. This is also why they can not ping each other.

This is very odd since they are presumably getting the IP address and subnet via DHCP from the cable company. Which PC has the 255.255.255.0 address? Do you have all of your XP patches from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I would note the address, gateway and DNS server on the one with the 255.255.255.0 mask and change it to a static IP address. Use the same data but change the mask to match the other one (255.254.0.0). You should be able to ping the other machine now.

ipconfig /all
on the xp will show you the DNS addresses along with the ip and subnet and gateway.

on the 98 you use
winipcfg

I have read where some 98 machines will get a wrong subnet through DHCP but if you do a release and renew they will sometimes get it correctly. You can try the same thing on your XP if it is the bad one. ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Ron
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Hi Rob, I think you ment this for the other thread. Mine is with 2 win2k machines, no 98 or XP in this problem.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Well.... first off... your subnet masks should match, if the first 2 octets are the same.

Then, without a WINS server on your network, you ought to try using an LMHOSTS file to allow browsing both systems.

make sure that file and print sharing is added to your protocols.

Create a user (put them in the Admin's group if you want) that is the same ID and password on both systems (that way you won't have to do a connect as).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Matt:

It kinda looks like you're trying to make this work without a router. Are you running ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of the systems? I assume you are. Normally you cannot have 2 or more systems with simultaneous internet access without either a router, ICS, or multiple IPs from the ISP.

Your ISP does offer "Multiple Computer Access" which will allow you to purchase up to a total of 5 IP addresses. Is this what you're using? If so, go here: http://www.rogershelp.com/help/content/how/member_services/3e9_multiple.shtml
for how to set it up.

Tell us more about your equipment/connections and we should be able to help you.

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Matt ;

I agree with Jon, please create the same login account on both PCs admin level, reboot and try to access. Wait up to 5 minutes before trying.

Make sure sharing on each drive letter of the hard drives is enabled.

Usually static IP addresses are used with this type of networking with ICS used to access the internet.

regards,
jim
Cynthia Garfold
Frequent Advisor

Matt,

Several things must be in line before the two w2k machines will see each other.

First you must program the 8port soho that connects your lan with your isp to allow dhcp. Make sure that you have given the range of ip addresses that you want the isp to give your workstations when they log on. The two machines that are connected should have no hard coded ip addresses, subnet masks or dns or wins settings. The naming convention should be in the same workgroup.

Different subnet masks indicate a hardcoded entry somewhere.

Hope this helps. :)
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

I partially agree with what has been said.
You need to have the same IP network address on both computers.
I don't think you are using ICS as this implies the sharing computer has an address like xxx.xxx.xxx.1
So I imagine you are connecting both PC's to the modem or whatever ISP gave you.
Why not having static IP address in lan, like 192.168.0.1 to the first and 192.168.0.2 to the second, and sharing the 192.168.0.1 internet connection? In this case you need to specify DNS servers on the second PC as well as specify the 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway.
Keep us updated.
Good luck,
Jorge

PS: Please note that Portuguese facilities are far from the ones you have... What I mean by this is that the solution I suggest works here, but I'm not sure there.
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

hey all,

thanks for the overwellming responses! i will try and answer all the questions to the best of my ability.

(1) I am not doing an internet sharing, through two computers.

(2) the setup is like this....cable modem is hooked up to an OLD netopia router model# R2020 (it was free). this router has 8 ports which has three computers hooked up to it. All three computers have internet access. But none of them can see any of the other computers within the house.

(3) I have tried setting up a proper network, with proper internal addresses along the lines of 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.11 etc....but when ever i do that, the DHCP server is gone and i am not able to get on the internet. So i resort back to the "Automatically assign IP address" and "Obtain DNS address automatically", which then gives me the addresses like 24.xxx.21.62 and 24.xxx.23.90 at which time internet access is available, but the computers can not see each other.

(4) File and print sharing are loaded, both computers have a user profile set up teh exact same, with admin privleges

(5) The router...i have had more grief then anything with this router....i am unable to telnet into it, to assign values, NATs, or even check settings. So i have even replaced the router with a switch, just to see if it would make any sort of difference...and sure enough...it DIDN'T

If there are any other suggestions, i will try them out...TIA for everyones contributions.

Regards,

Matt
Cynthia Garfold
Frequent Advisor

What type of router and what are your current settings in each of the workstations under network properties?