108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hostname = server name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

hostname = server name

i am working on a hp-ux server for the first time and scared to screw up, is the hostname the same thing as the server name? and does the MP hostname have to correspond with the netwrok hostname???
my apology if this question seem simply, it is my first time working on a hp-ux server and i want to have it rght before i work on a production server.
6 REPLIES 6
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Re: hostname = server name

Hi,

Yes, the hostname is the same thing as the server name. To my knowledge, there are two ways to name a unix machine, the UUCP hostname ( uname -n ) and the internet hostname ( hostname ). The startup script /sbin/init.d/hostname use the same HOSTNAME variable as an argument to both, uname -s and hostname, so they are the same name, which to my knowledge is strongly suggested by HP.

Regards,
Zigor
Wamaitha
Frequent Advisor

so if the servername and the hostname are the same, does that mean that the MP will have the same name or a different name??
thanks in advance.
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, missed this one:
" ... and does the MP hostname have to correspond with the netwrok hostname???"

No to my knowledge.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

From the network point of view the MP is an independent system and needs a unique hostname and IP address.
It may be helpful to give the MP a related name (e.g. servers name is "serv1", MPs name is "serv1mp").

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

OS hostname and MP hostname has no relation and can be set seperately. For sure the naming convention should be such that you do not get confused with the names and are able to uniquly identify one particular server.

This MP hostname is also equally important as the hostname to idetiy a server among others before performing admin tasks on it.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The MP is a separate processor and on older machines was called the Guardian Service Processor (GSP), which to me more clearly identifies it as a separate simple diagnostic computer that is there to help monitor and manage the larger system.
Mom 6