Operating System - HP-UX
1753879 Members
7633 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iPlanet - Error accepting connection -5974, oserr=233 (Insufficient resources)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Mattatall
Esteemed Contributor

Re: iPlanet - Error accepting connection -5974, oserr=233 (Insufficient resources)

We recently retired an L1000 running iPlanet and VirtualVault. We saw these errors A LOT during heavy use, with the additional bonus of iPlanet dying at random intervals.

As I recall, we did increase values for ninodes, nfiles, semmni, and some other semaphore values. Matters improved a bit, but heavy traffic was still enough to bring iPlanet down.

We finally managed to move off the platform, but the underlying problem was still there.
A little knowledge is dangerous - none is absolutely terrifying!!!
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

those TCP settings aren't heinous, but I doubt they will speed-up iPlant much if at all.

going to one minute on the tcp_ip_abort_interval is a bit harsh in my mind - assuming the minimum retransmission timeout (RTO) is in effect then that means that there will be fewer retransmissions of a given lost segment before the transport aborts the connection - if you believe that there are "never" any "normal" times when the network is paused or really really busy for less than 10 minutes, but more than one I guess it is OK.

the keepalive setting is ok i guess.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
masrudyn
Occasional Advisor

mark/jon

thanks for your replies. so it seems to me that most sites running iPlanet on HP-UX seems to be faced with this problem. :-( I guess I will monitor the server; if none of the users complain, I'll just leave it as is.

rick,

thanks alot for your useful commments on the settings. I'll pass on your comments to the sysadmin team.
masrudyn
Occasional Advisor

hi rick,

just wanna clarify with you regarding the parameter tcp_ip_abort_interval. You mentioned that setting it to a lower value would mean fewer transmission when there is a lost segment.

I'm just curious - would this affect long running transactions? Coz occasionally, my webserver will connect to a middleware which sometimes takes a long time to complete. (sometimes 1-5 mins)

Would setting the parameter lower mean that my long running transactions time out easily?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The tcp_ip_abort_interval is how long TCP will wait for an ACK of a given segment from the remote TCP. It is not affected by application service times. So, if you have an application that takes 5 minutes to service a request, that is fine as far as tcp_ip_abort_interval is concerned. TCP will have ACKed the data long before that.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows