1752796 Members
5924 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ifalias error on HP-UX 10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution

ifalias error on HP-UX 10.20

I am assigning new IP addresses to our servers, but I use HP OmniBack II which uses a node locked license. I somehow want it to think it is still the old IP address too. I read about ifalias, but it keeps giving me errors.

Old IP: 204.x.x.2
New IP: 10.x.x.2

I want it to think it is both IP addresses so the software will work!
I'm the last IT guy here!
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

It might help if you told us what the errors are. However, given the IP addresses you listed, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because the addresses are not on the same subnet. If my memory is correct, you cannot have IP addresses from different subnets on the same interface in HP-UX.

All of the products I've dealt with always used hostname or "uname -i" output to determine if the system was licensed. I don't remember any that used IP addresses. Granted, I've never dealt with OmniBack II licenses so maybe HP did something odd with them, but it might be worth verifying that you're even trying to do the correct thing to avoid license problems.
--
Jeff Traigle
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

what ifalias patch do you have?
PHNE_12492 allowed for adding of ip addresses onto a differfent subnet
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!

I have patches PHNE_12492 and PHNE_22507 instaled.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

ok, so what command are you using, and what are the errors you get?
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!

ifalias lan0 add 204.x.x.2

ifalias: ioctl (SIOCADDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

That comman d does not look right to me
I sadly have no access to 10.20 boxes, as that OS is long out of support, but I think you need to add in a subnet mask along the lines of:
ifalias lan0 addmask 255.a.b.c 204.x.x.2

where a.b.c is to match your subnet fo rthe 204 address

You da man!

That worked and I thought I tried every combination of the command. Plus, it solved y license issue. It also retained the assignment after rebooting.

FYI, supposedly, HP said they will transfer my licenses, I am waiting for a response.

Thanks,
Bob

I spoke too soon. It retained the setting after rebooting, but now it the licenses are showing expired again! A mystery.

It turns out that I had to add ifalias to the rc. I found the scripts for this online that someone wrote for 10.20.

Problem solved!