Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ifconfig of lan1 is getting "unplumb'd" across a boot

Lee Hallin
Advisor

ifconfig of lan1 is getting "unplumb'd" across a boot

We have two rx2660's running HPUX 11.31.  LAN0 is our primary NIC and works fine and the ifconfig info stays across a re-boot.  However, the ifconfig of LAN1 does NOT stay config'd across a re-boot (after boot says: ifconfig: no such interface).  This behavior happens with LAN1 whether there is a cable connected to the LAN1 NIC or not!

This behavior is identical on both of the rx2660's!  On both servers, the LAN1 NIC had been talking (successfully) to a NetAPP array in the past (prior boots).  If I boot the server, config the LAN1 port and re-boot; the config goes away; with out a cable even connected to LAN1!

Any ideas as to what might be causing the loss of ifconfig info across a boot?

TIA,

Lee

4 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: ifconfig of lan1 is getting "unplumb'd" across a boot

First I would check the file

/etc/rc.config.d/netconf

for typos.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

/etc/rc.config.d/netconf is where the LAN card settings are stored. If netconf is correct for LAN1, then you probably have junk files in that directory. /etc/rc.config.d is the one directory where you CANNOT store old files! Every file in that directory will be executed on bootup, netconf, netconf.old, netconf.old.1 and so on -- in that order! So the old junk files are setting your values. If you need to save an old copy, create an old directory:

mkdir /etc/rc.config.d/old

Then mv all the junk files to that directory.

To see all the changed files, use:

ls -lart /etc/rc.config.d

The oldest files are at the bottom...these are the ones that have recently changed.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Lee Hallin
Advisor

Thank you Bill!  You must have been looking over my shoulder!  You described exactly what I had done!  I muck with these directories infrequent enough that I forgot about the detail characteristics of things in rc.config.d!

Ya know, the memory is the second thing to go as you age .. I forget what the first thing is :-)

Thanks again,

Lee

Lee Hallin
Advisor

Thanks Torsten. You pointed me in the right direction. Many thanks :-)

Lee