1753506 Members
5360 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ip 169.254.x.x

blanc

ip 169.254.x.x

using a home office network with a cable modem, a gateway and a hub.

used it once, it worked wonderful, then tried to use computer on a DSL network at another location, and ever since i get this phony IP address.

came back to home office, and i get phony IP address.

tried turning hubs/gateway/cable modem on/off.. no luck

tried ipconfig release/renew.. no luck

using XP Pro with Omnibook 6000

please help

--s
tomorrow
8 REPLIES 8
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This set of IP addresses are usually used by Windows when it cannot detect a DHCP server to get a lease of a proper IP address.

In your office, you are probably getting your IP address from a DHCP server residing on your office network.

At your home, if you do not have a DHCP server running, you will not get a proper public or private IP address for use.

I use the SMC barricade broadband router cum switch which doubles as a DHCP server as well. Have no problems retrieving a private IP address from the DHCP server.

Check whether your DHCP server exists and is configured properly. Otherwise, you will need to hardcode a fixed IP address in your Window's LAN configuration.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have been mentioning about the internal DHCP server for your home network (since your cannot get an IP address out of your WinXP via DHCP).

Just an additional note. For the WAN IP address of your router (i.e. gateway), you should be relying on the ISP's DHCP server. If that is not working or uncontactable over the network, you will not be able to get a valid public IP address for your router's WAN interface to communicate with the Internet.

Check whether the link light on your cable modem is working (i.e. verify physical connectivity). Check with your ISP customer service that they did not assign your connected port to the wrong VLAN.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Kevin O'Donovan
Regular Advisor

Hi,

haven't done this with IP, but in WinNT I've seen a couple of cases recently (we also have DHCP network) where I had to regenerate the bindings in the control panel with the network interface device - Network control panel in WinNT but I think thats changed in WinXP?

I have Win2000 on my machine at the moment, don't see it handy in Network/connection (in my case LAN) but theres prob. an equiv there somewhere.

Try that if you can track it down, sorted out a similar sounding problem on NT.

hope that helps,
Kevin.
blanc

You know what, guys?

I'm just going to sell it
and go back to a Mac.
OS X is looking mighty fine
nowadays.

Thanks again,

I still can't connect via LAN.

--b

tomorrow
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You may have another network connection since "visiting" the other network.

Disable it, and the original connection should work.

(Note: Don't disable the network bridge, just the network connection for the office).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
blanc

how exactly do i 'disable' the connection? what is the bridge as opposed to the connection?

so far, what i have done is
--erase all my 'network connections'
(dial ups... i can't delete the one remaining LAN/High speed connection)
--disabled APIPA
--ipconfig release/renew

--b
tomorrow
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

The internal IP assisgnment comes from Windows when it fails to get a dynamically assigned IP from a DHCP server.

If you are NOT getting a dymanically assigned IP address from your home network, then you need to physically input the IP into the Internet Protocol TCP/IP component within the Network Connection.

i.e. right click on the connection, select properties, right click on Internet Protocol and enter an IP address.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Blanc,
Try changing the NIC; it might have a problem.
RD

P.S. You should assign points if you want people to help you in the future.
rdarling@southwickclothing.com