108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: is it possible..??

SOLVED
Go to solution
M. Z. Harbi
Advisor

is it possible..??

guys, don't laugh..ok, I'm not a computer Guru, but.. I would like to ask you this..

Is it possible to have two PC's working alone, but having their output on one screen..? I mean, I have two PC's and only one monitor.. can I work on them at the same time with their output on the same monitor..?
UNDERSTAND life. Do NOT just STAND UNDER it...
6 REPLIES 6
Zigor Buruaga
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

As far as I know, that's not possible ( at least no without buying new hardware ).
Maybe you want to use some remote control software, like PCAnywhere, Dameware, or Timbuktu.In this way you could use locally one PC, and "remotely" the other one.

Kind regards,
Zigor
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

You may buy a display switch, allowing you to have one computer or the otehr on the scree, but not both at the same time... Maybe is there some other solution, if you could explain what you are trying to do (I mean, why).

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi:

I just bought a 2-port KVM switch on Ebay for about $30. Of course I have to push a button to switch between computers but it works great. If you want to be able to 'see' both computers on the same screen because you want to be able to move data between the computers, you need the computers to be networked together (ideally using Ethernet Networking). Then you could launch an application on one computer and go across the network and retrieve data files from the other computer (for instance).

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
M. Z. Harbi
Advisor

Thanx guys.. you were very helpful..

here is the story.. I had two PC's in my room.. one monitor of one of them was damaged..!! thanx to little brother..so I end up with two PC's with one monitor.. before I go to buy another monitor, I came here to ask you fine people..if it is possible to..etc
it is just temporary, I'm waiting till the end of the month..

nice story, huh..? I could be a writer..

UNDERSTAND life. Do NOT just STAND UNDER it...
ranthony2cfl.rr.com
Regular Advisor

Yeah, it is possible -- but you gotta buy that switch, and the result is non-simultaneous use of the two PCs.

Presuming another PC (ie: a third one), and appropriate hardware, and software special-writ for the purpose, it IS even possible to force sync between the two outputs and "meld" them into one output that is displayed on the one monitor. This is not a project for either the faint-of-heart or the on-guru. With over 40 years experience in electronics, I would undertake it for a price and still not promise a satisfactory result. I recommend forgetting it.

However, I am running VMWare on my PC and regularly cut-and-paste between a W98 and a W2000 that are running simultaneously on my PC and display on my one monitor. That is not the case you describe, just a way of doing something similar to what might have been (and was not) included in your question.
vitam largo et Deus omnipotens
ranthony2cfl.rr.com
Regular Advisor

You know, now I think about it, I recall my buddy Jay at WTVJ showing me (about 30 years ago) two scans from separate cameras being shown me on one monitor --- of course, being the control room of a commercial station you can be sure the scans were driven from the same sync-source -- and it was done by using a fast (solid-state) switch between the two scans: every other half-frame was from the same camera, I think, and the switch was driven from the same sync signal. No other special hardware, no special software.
vitam largo et Deus omnipotens