Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

net hood issues, subnet

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

net hood issues, subnet

I am about to create my first subnet. Up to now our network has been flat.

DNS is running on a unix box. Not running DHCP or WINS.

Question: After I subnet, will Microsoft shares traverse the subnet OK?

\\mktserver\production

For example, can I map the above share if mktserver is on the other subnet?

And, will net hood be unable to populate across the subnet?

If not, what do I do? Start up WINS? Any other options?
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
4 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: net hood issues, subnet

Browsing through Network Neighborhood and connecting to the shares across the subnet may be a problem. If you aren't running a WINS server, and the gateways are blocking broadcast traffic, then you would need to run WINS to be able to connect to the shares. Also... make sure that your gateways aren't blocking ports (137,138,139,445, etc).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You will definitively need a Wins server, or use the LMHOSTS file (not recommended).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Fred,
traverse subnet needs of a router. This is a design level of network.
Try to explain:
NIC (Network Interface Card) can send and receive frame by their MAC (Medium Address Control), that's is a 48 bit address informat AA-00-12-34-56-78.
When one host send a socket to another one loot at target IP addres. If IP is inside its subnetwork, host searchs MAC address in its arp table and send frame to it; otherwise send frame to its gateway.
So, without router, you can't traverse subnet even hosts are on same physycal network.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I understand. I do have routers in place already. Today they are configured to behave as bridges. When I create the subnet, they will be changed to behave as routers.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com