5975 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: net-snmp

himacs
Super Advisor

net-snmp

Hi Admins,

M tring to configure net-snmp with my linux RHEL server.

I have installed the package and the same is intalled under /opt/freeware. Then i starrted to comile the net-snmp with ./configure command as per net-snmp doc.But system says command not found.. Tried to find out the command using whereis command.But system replies nothing. How to make .configure run.

I added the path /opt/freeware in PATH variable.

Regards

himacs

10 REPLIES 10
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

net-snmp is the default SNMP version available in RHEL distributions, installable with a simple "yum install net-snmp" (or "up2date --install net-snmp" in RHEL 4 and older). Do you have some special reason for taking the extra effort of installing a non-default version in /opt/freeware?

The net-snmp document that tells you to run ./configure assumes you're compiling net-snmp from source code. This is the most universal way to distribute Unix/Linux software, but it requires the software user to know the basics of compiling Unix software. On the other hand, "installed under /opt/freeware" suggests you may have installed some sort of a pre-built package, where the compilation step is already done for you by the package maintainer.

(Some quick Googling suggests /opt/freeware is a typical pathname for pre-built open-source software packages for IBM AIX:  don't try installing them on Linux. The AIX freeware packages would typically include sub-directories like /opt/freeware/bin, which should be added to PATH instead of /opt/freeware.)

If you install a compiled version of net-snmp, you should ignore the compilation instructions in the net-snmp documentation (typically, ignore anything starting from a "./configure" command until "make install" or a similar command).

The "./configure" is a script that probes the current system and adjusts the configuration of the source code package to the requirements of the local system. Things like "are you compiling on an old Pentium I system, or a Cray supercomputer, or something else?", "Is this system running Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX or something else?", "Is this a 32- or 64-bit system?" and many other technical details. The "configure" script will not be installed along with the compiled software: it is just a tool that is used in the compilation phase. It is not included in binary RPM packages, because it is not needed with them: as the binary RPM contains already compiled software, the architecture and other dependency information is encoded in the RPM metadata, and the package won't install in a wrong system architecture.

In general, it's much easier to use binary RPMs if the software you need is available as RPMs for your Linux distribution. And net-snmp is definitely available for RHEL.

MK
himacs
Super Advisor

Hi MK,

Thanks for the reply..

Actually i was into HPUX from last 3 years. Fortunately or unfortunately i donno, moved to linux and aix.

Right now i am configuring net-snmp on my Linux RHEL and AIX 5.3 servers. By mistake i posted my aix query here.My actaul intention was to get the some details on Linux net-snmp.

But i agree m getting issue with aix 5.3.And from ur reply  i cleared my doubt abt ./connfigure command.I was thinking its coming with the rpm package.

So there are 2 types of packages source codeand binaries.Binaries are compiled one.SO no need to use ./configure command.Please Correct me if i ma worng.

Regrads

himacs

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

You're exactly right.

By the way: a binary package maintainer that is compiling some package for installation in /opt/freeware would do something like this:

<extract source code package>
cd <softwarename-version>
./configure --prefix=/opt/freeware [maybe other options here]
make
make install
<package all files copied to /opt/freeware by the previous step>
<clean up /opt/freeware for making the next binary package>

So if you use binary packages, and need to use some instructions that begin with building the software from source, you should be aware that these steps are already done by the package maintainer, so you don't have to do them.

The names of the source packages usually include the software name and version, but no OS name or hardware type. If the name of an unknown package is something like <software>-<version>-AIX5.3.ppc.tar.gz, then it is likely to be a binary package. But you should examine the package contents to make sure: if the package contains a lot of .c, .cpp or .c++ files, it is very likely a source package.

RPM packages have a more consistent naming: source RPM packages are normally always named <software>-<version>-<package_revision>.src.rpm, and binary packages something like <software>-<version>-<package_revision>.<os>.<hardware> .rpm.

Source RPMs can usually be built automatically using "rpmbuild" or a similar tool.

MK
himacs
Super Advisor

Thanks MK.

My package name is net-snmp-5.7-1.aix5.1ppc.rpm - so its binary package . Precompiled one.

NOw let me tell you my problem.I installed binary package and modified conf file with my community name.and stopped OS default snmpd. And tried to started new snmpd under /opt/freeware/sbin/snmpd .But ended up below error

Error opening specified end point "udp:127.0.0.1:161"

My conclusion is : 161 port listens to snmp. I stopped system default snmpd. So now 161 is not listening.when i tried to start my new snmpd  -- it not listening to port 161.

I tried to change the port for snmpd in /etc/services. But same error repeats with new port name.

how can i rectify it.

note: i created a link  /usr/sbin/snmpd with new snmpd

MK,I know this is not AIX forum. But the above problem is not particular with AIX.So asking for help.

And from my 3 yrs of experience with HPUX , i can say HPUX forum is the BEST.AIX forum is nowhere comes near HPUX.

Regards

himacs

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Typically, you must be root to use any ports between 0-1023. But I guess this is not your problem, if you successfully stopped the default snmpd.

If you have "lsof" installed, run "lsof -i udp:161" to see if there is another process using the port 161.

Like on HP-UX, the AIX default snmp implementation might contain multiple processes, and you should stop them all to cleanly disable the default snmp.

Or maybe AIX has some sort of "service manager" process that automatically starts the default snmpd if it notices it has been stopped... According to Google, you need to use "stopsrc -s snmpd" on AIX to stop the default snmpd. This suggests some sort of service manager might be in use. As it is a computer program, it would restart snmpd faster than any human can enter commands.

As you specify the port number directly in net-snmp endpoint specification, changing /etc/services is unlikely to have any effect in net-snmp.

MK
himacs
Super Advisor

MK,

Checked for snmpd process with lsof -i udp:161. There was one process running, which i had started with new snmpd.As i said i had created soft link for snmpd with /opt/freeware/sbin/snmpd.

We use startsrc and stopsrc to start and stop respectively.And lssrc -s snmpd to check the snmpd status whether its active or inoperative.

As i mentioned i started new snmpd with startsrc.The same was started but was in inoperative state.(that i killed ).

Snmpd reads configuration file during startup.I think i have to take a proper look at snmpd.conf file.

I hope i can resolve tomorrow since i have left office today. I will let u know once issue resolved.Please share me if you have any ideas.

Regards

himacs

himacs
Super Advisor

Hi MK,

I have modified config file and tried to start the snmpd.But result is same. My log file throws below error.

SMUX close : Authentcationfailure

lost connection to agent

smux_init systemError:[Join_tcp_conneccion failed

What i haveto  make out

Authentcationfailure - Need to use some authentication..

ost connection to agent -- snmpd not started

Regards

himacs

dole_snmp
Occasional Visitor

Good Morning :

I need to install net snmp in our HP r3440 hpux 11i v1. I was checking a lot the hp software but I did not found it. Could you please let me know what Can I do to find it ?

Humberto Chinchilla

Dole Food Co

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Find your HP-UX 11i v1 installation media kit. It should include a DVD marked "Internet Express for 11i v1", and on that DVD, you should find a HP-packaged net-snmp for your HP-UX version.

The Internet Express for 11i v1 used to be downloadable from software.hp.com, but is not there any more. The later releases of the Internet Express packages are for 11i v2 and v3 only, and unfortunately the last release for 11i v1 was removed from software.hp.com as it became obsolete.

MK